3rd March – Results and Scorer Round-Up


It was the quarter finals stage of the County Sunday Cup today with only three teams from our League remaining in the competition. All were drawn away from home and all faced difficult opponents, as to be expected at such a senior round of the competition. Sadly on the day two teams perished leaving only one team, Hykeham Town TRFC,to fly the flag for our League. Their game went to extra time and then penalties before they booked their place in the Semi Finals of the County’s Premier Cup Competition for Sunday teams.

Bottesford Town  3-3  Hykeham Town TRFC (after extra time. Hykeham won 4-3 on penalties)

Goals from Anderson, Foster and Murphy, took this game to penalties when the two sides shared six goals down at Bottesford. The visitors held their nerve from the penalty spot to secure the win by four goals to three to put the Hykeham team through to the Semi Final for the first time in their history.

Friendship FC  5-2  St Helens FC

Two goals from Papworth were not enough to prevent our Division One side from slipping out of the Competition at this advanced stage. They must be congratulated on embarking on a fine run and for advancing as far as they have. Well done to all involved at the Club.

The Coach House  FC  2-0  Anglers FC

Anglers saw the trophy slip away from their clutches as they went down to two late goals in a game that ended in drama. Both goals came in the last seven minutes of the game, one from the penalty spot, after Anglers had been reduced to nine men during the second half of the game.

Division One

Congratulations go to Trent Valley who became the first Champions of our Season when their 3-0 win away at North Lindum Hawks secured the Division One title. That is some achievement when taking into account that we are only just into the first week of March. Congratulations go to all at the Club as they now  make the League’s Premier Division for the first time in their fourteen year history.

North Lindum Hawks  0-3  Trent Valley FC

Holmes, Munro, and Stamp were the men that fired Trent Valley to the title when they visited Yarborough, ironically the ground where they used to play before moving out to Cherry Willingham. This win, their fifteenth out of seventeen League games has created a Club record which they will look to extend during their remaining  three games.

Lincoln High Street  2-7  Welton FC

The visitors continued their recent impressive form when they visited Lincoln High Street. Goals from Parkinson (2), Caines, Spencer, Luther, Morris and a Coulson penalty secured the points for the visitors who remain in second place in the table as a result.

Wragby FC  2-5  FVA Jerusalem

A brace for Scott Lowman for the home side was not enough to derail the challenge of FVA Jerusalem as goals from Forbes (2), Stanney, Russell, and Murphy kept the Skellingthorpe side right behind Welton in the battle for the runners up spot in the Division. FVA remain just a point behind Welton with a game in hand.

Newton United  4-5  Bassingham Bugle Horn FC

The game of the day for goals and excitement came in the lower half of the Division out at South Clifton where the home side lead 4-3 with just 10 minutes to go thanks to goals from Shaw, Cottingham, Speck, and Horton but the visitors had other ideas as two penalties from Seaton and strikes from Walker (2) and Barnett saw the visitors take the points from a game that sent the home team home gutted.

Wishing Well Cherry FC  3-0  Fox & Hounds FC

A brace from Barnes and a goal from Pinnington earned the home side back to back wins and saw them climb up to fifth place in the table after a solid performance.

Division Two

Cherry Willingham   0-1  Nettleham FC  (Abandoned after 15 minutes)

This game was unfortunately abandoned with Nettleham leading 1-0 at the time due to a serious injury sustained by a Cherry Willinham player. It has been confirmed that the injured player sustained a broken leg and on behalf of the League I would like to send him very best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery.

AFC Rustons  4-0  Plough Sturton

With Nettleham’s game unfortunately unable to be completed AFC Rustons took the opportunity to return to the top of the table courtesy of a 4-0 win at home Plough Sturton. Two goals each for Robinson and Reid did the damage and ensured that the battle royal between the top two teams continued, as it looks likely to, between now and the end of the Season.

Waddington United  2-3  Hykeham Social FC

A brace from Fletcher and a goal from Baker earned the visitors maximum points from their visit to Waddington despite the home side leading twice. Pell and a great volley from Mellady looked to have seured the points for the home side but the visitors had other ideas with two of their goals coming in the last fifteen minutes.

Saxilby Athletic  6-2  Witham St Hughs

Two goals from Hicks and solo efforts from Beaumont, Waywell, Maxwell, and Hockin,g earned Saxilby their fifth League win of the Season when they played host to Witham St Hughs. Witham remain stuck on the bottom of this Division despite goals from Barratt and a penalty from Clay.

Old Boys United  2-4  Dunston FC

Dunston continued their revived form during 2019 with a win at near neighbours Old Boys United. Drummond was their hat-trick hero with two coming after the break. Bates was their other scorer after he netted in the first half. Old Boys responded with goals from Thompson and Moss but this proved too little too late for an Old Boys side who sit comfortably in the middle of the table. Dunston continue their climb away from the wrong end of the table as they have moved up a couple of places since being rooted at the bottom for much of the Season.

Division Three

Broadley FC  1-8  Morning Star

Broadley went into this game with a bare squad, not ideal when you are playing the league leaders  who have shown excellent form all Season. None more so than in the first 45 minutes when the half time whistle came with Star leading 7-0! Crampton hit another hat-trick for the visitors and they added to their tally with goals from Matthews, Marshall, Smith, and Dale, to underline their credentials at the top of the Division.

Ruston Sports FC  10-0  Nosey FC

Rustons are serious contenders to challenge the current leaders to the top spot at the end of the Season, that was confirmed by the demolition of Nosey by a double figures score. Four goals from Baker plus two each from Stephenson and Mann, complimented by efforts from Jones and Rainey, underlined the Ruston team’s dominance. Eight of the goals came in the first half. With just one League defeat so far this Season  and a home game against the leaders to come this Division promises to be exciting around the top spots for the remainder of the Season.

The Sports Bar  2-3  Horncastle Town

Two goals by Welsh could not prevent the second placed team hosts from defeat, and subsequent loss of temporary momentum, when they entertained Horncastle Town at Heighington.  O’Callaghan recorded a hat-trick for the visitors to cancel out Welsh’s efforts and then to win the game for Town.

Queen Athletic  1-3  Ruskington Lions

A brace from Jackson and a goal from Cooper gave the visitors maximum points when they visited Skellingthorpe Road to take on a side who have slipped down the table of late. The win maintains the Lion’s challenge for the promotion spots in the Division as they currently sit in third place with ten wins from fifteen games. They certainly are not a side that goes “looking for a point” as they are yet to draw a game this Season in the League.

Division Four

M.H.Blue Lion  0-8  Railway Inn United

Railway Inn United remain in poll position in the League following another goal scoring spree at King George V field.  Two goals apiece for Float and Lilley, and additional scores by Paul, Markham, Allen and Smith, did the trick to leave the team from Fen Lane showing that they are going to be difficult to catch for the coveted top spot next month.

The Ferryboat  6-4  Swanpool FC

Second place Swanpool came a cropper when they visited Jekyl and Hyde team The Ferryboat. Having scored four goals courtesy of a brace each by Bentley and Bent the odds would be on them securing something from the game but the home side had hat-trick man Mearns and two goal Flintham in their ranks, both with different ideas. An own goal completed the scoring for Ferryboat to see them over the line in this ten goal thriller.

FVA Jerusalem Reserves  2-6  Bottle & Glass

The visitors remain in third place, well in contention for a promotion finish, after two goals from Houltby and efforts from Tatton, Gray, Cameron, and Lidgett secured the points at Monson Park.

Crown & Arrows  8-1  Green Dragon

A hat-trick from Dobson, two goals from Hewson, and goals from Nelson and Waplington gave the home side a good day when they hosted Dragon. Adding up those goal scorers it only comes to seven – oh apologies I have missed one off. Grainger scored a 45 yard screamer, or so he tells me, to complete the scoring. I don’t often type this name! Well done Liam. Stephenson scored the consolation for the visitors.

AFC West End  2-1  HBW United

A couple of goals by Hornsby did the trick for West End despite a goal by O’Callaghan for HBW in reply. The win keeps West End in the top half of the Division whilst HBW remain in the bottom half but have games to catch up due to their success in Cup competitions this Season.

Metheringham Reserves  2-5  The Shed 

Metheringham Reserves remain without a League win despite goals in this game by Pimblett and Barnes. The Shed enjoyed their day and a rare win after Bass (2) Dowsett, Hussain, and Porter hit the target for the side from Bracebridge Heath.

Ian Stephenson