23rd October – Match Reports

Premier Division

Welton Sports AFC 3

Lincoln Moorlands 4

Lincoln Moorlands travelled to Welton and returned with maximum points but it wasn’t easy as the home side provide difficult opposition these days. The pitch was soft and heavy and was conducive to mistakes and goals. With the two sides having already played each other this season Lincoln Moorlands went into the game with a game plan but that went straight out of the window when Welton proved to have a different and stronger team this time round.

Moorlands went ahead when George Asplin danced down the left wing and cut inside before drilling the ball home. The home side responded well and they were rewarded with an equaliser. Moorlands again went ahead when Brandon Byers-Wilkes received the ball before he rolled his defender to go through one on one against the home keeper. He finished skilfully to give the visitors the lead. Welton were not for laying down and they equalised for a second time following a ball being played over the top that was latched onto and finished neatly by their forward. The game was turning out to be “a proper Sunday league game” with the game going from end to end.

Moorlands have a prolific goal scorer in their ranks this season in the form of Ryan Beasley who, before this game, had netted 8 goals in the last 2 games, and he put his side in front to make it 9 goals in his last 3 games in all competitions. Welton again responded when a cross found its way into the net to level the game for a third time as the game approached the last 10 minutes. But when you have George Asplin in your team you always have a chance and it was he who produced the winner for the visitors when he raced clear and was bundled over in the area. He then dusted himself down before converting the spot kick to seal the win in an entertaining game.

Division 2

Plough Sturton 5

Red Lion Dunston 3

This was another game in which Dunston were chasing the game after the first minute when a corner from Dunston was not cleared and with keeper Harry Wright slipping at the crucial moment the ball was looped in by Paul Fowler and flicked in by Stephen Pell. The home side were completely in control of the game and within ten minutes found themselves 2 goals to the good when Elliott Shearwood capitalised on a defensive error before playing Alex Cawkwell in on goal. The striker took a couple of touches inside the box before finishing low past the goalkeeper with his left foot. Sturton’s dominance continued and they were rewarded again when Will Gladwin put in some great work down the left hand side before putting in an inviting low ball across goal which Tom Everington met at the far post and tapped in from close range.

The score would have been much greater but for some excellent saves from visiting keeper Wright. After 25 minutes Dunston slowly started to get some possession of the ball and after the half hour Paul Masters had a strike at goal to see the ball come back off the keeper for George Shores to follow up and put it in the bottom right hand corner. Dunston kept plugging away and just before half time got a second from Paul Masters with a lovely strike from the edge of the area into the corner of the keeper’s left side.

Into the second half and Dunston were a different team looking to get the equaliser, however they were caught on the break when Cawkwell sent the ball through for Shearwood and the youngster used his pace to beat the defence before firing an effort past the keeper to make the score 4-2. Undeterred Dunston quickly got back into the game two minutes later when Shores picked up the ball in the area and controlled it before lobbing the keeper to bring the score back to 4-3.
Dunston again went looking for the equaliser but just couldn’t get past the Sturton keeper who made two or three great saves.

Dunston were caught on the break again at the end, conceding a free kick on the edge of the area, when a great strike from Cawkwell saw the ball nestle in the top of the net with the final kick of the match.

Waddington United 4

Lincoln High Street FC 2

Waddington United returned to winning ways after their disappointing result last week in the Fred Quibell Cup with a 4-2 home win against Lincoln High Street. Lee Wright’s close range effort opened the scoring for Waddington and a Jason Brothwell bullet doubled their advantage. Craig Mitchell’s third goal in successive games made it three before Robas Ismail scored an unbelievable volley to make it 3-1. Danny Hunt turned the opposition defence inside out before firing home from the edge of the box to restore the three goal lead but Matt Clarke’s free kick gave Waddington something to think about for the final 10 minutes. However, Waddington held on for a deserved victory and three welcome points.

Division 4

Broadley FC 11

The Blue Lion FC 1

Both teams went into this return fixture after Broadley won the opening game of the season by defeating their opponents 22-1 on that occasion. Today they managed to score half of that number which may be seen by The Blue Lion as definite improvement made by their  side. In the first half Broadley scored what they described as 3 scruffy finishes for the returning Connor Wiseman who sealed his hat-trick to put the home side in command early on either side of a Blue Lion goal. Stevie Stallard completed his own hat-trick  with much tidier finishes, and right-back Jonjo Hayden somehow pulled his own hat-trick out of the bag! The goal scoring was rounded off by Ollie Bentley after Manager Ted Newton handed himself a cameo appearance off the bench. Broadley still search for their first clean sheet of the season despite having scored 46 goals in just 6 games.

Ian Stephenson