20th November – Match reports

Fred Quibell Junior Cup Round Two

Broadley FC 1

Red Lion Dunston 8

In testing conditions Dunston started the first half playing against the wind and this was when the game was won. Whilst both teams were creating chances it was Broadley who had the best of them in the first quarter and only an excellent point blank save from Steve Brumpton kept the score at 0-0.

In the 24th minute however Greg Brown beat the offside trap to put Dunston one up. This was then followed by a clear penalty on Paul Masters who took the resultant spot kick himself to make it 2-0. Three minutes later and Dunston were 3-0 up when Brown outstripped the defence to score his second. Broadley were not to be outdone and quickly scored an excellent goal themselves when a quick throw in saw the ball move to the Broadley player outside the penalty and a great strike evaded Brumpton before nestling in the top corner in the 37th minute. The half ended 3-1 to Dunston.

The second half began with a determined Broadley looking to reduce the deficit and once again it required Brumpton to come up with some good saves. On the hour however Dunston widened the margin with Brown’s hat trick. This seemed to dishearten Broadley after their efforts and Dunston quickly followed with four further goals.  JB Broughton scored after a goalmouth scramble after 67 minutes, Shinny Williamson’s deflected shot followed 5 minutes later and in the 76th minute Brown got his fourth and final goal of the game. Masters scored his second goal of the game with his second from a header with just 3 minutes of the game remaining. Whilst the score may reflect a comprehensive victory for the visitors, it was anything but, and as mentioned earlier the hard word work was done in the first half against the difficult weather conditions.

Division Three

Fox & Hounds FC 0

Dynamo Varsity 2

The game started somewhat scrappily with neither side able to get a foothold in the game. It was Dynamo who threatened early with a few set pieces, one which was cleared off the line, and another headed just over. Varsity took the lead on 25 minutes when Vincent Van Doninck created a chance out of nothing on the left before smashing the ball against the post, before David Hansell followed up to slot home. The second goal arrived within a few minutes when Craig Jones smashed a wonder strike from 30 yards into the top corner of the net to double the visitors advantage. Fox and Hounds though weren’t deflated and a fine save by Mike Barton in the Varsity goal when left one on one kept the gap to two goals going into the break.

Varsity started the second half well and had a couple of chances to put the game out of sight with Sam Wade shooting just wide of the mark on a couple of occasions. Fox and Hounds controlled the game for the last 30 minutes but were against a goalkeeper in fine form with Mike Barton pulling off a couple of excellent saves to kept the visitors ahead to secure all three points. Varsity Man of the Match was Mike Barton.

Division Four

The Blue Lion 1

Hykeham Athletic 7

The Blue Lion went into this game believing that they could give Hykeham Athletic a game despite their results so far this season. For the first 20 minutes or so they did just that, keeping the game tight and the game was being played from end to end. Eventually it was the visitors who broke the deadlock with a good finish. Shortly after the visitors added a second, then four more poor goals as far as the Lion were concerned.

The home side underwent a thorough half time team talk which motivated them for the second half. This resulted in an amazing second half that finished 2-1 to the visitors in actual goals scored, this representing the best second half performance so far this season for the team rooted to the bottom of the Sunday League. The Lion’s goal was scored by Richard (Reggie) Wood, with a lovely chip over the keeper. The referee, Mr I.Santos, was officiating in his first ever 11 a side game and he put in a good performance maintaining a smile on his face throughout the entire 90 minutes.

Ian Stephenson