Kelly Read Cup Final 2016/2017

Metheringham FC 4

Bassingham Bugle Horn FC 0

Current Kelly Read Cup holders Metheringham FC were looking to retain the trophy for the third successive season when they took on Division Two Champions Bassingham Bugle Horn FC on a cold and breezy evening at Sincil Bank Stadium. The two teams were lead out onto the excellent playing surface by ball boys and girls provided by both clubs. It was a proud night and fitting occasion for Metheringham Captain Ben Machin who was making his 150th appearance for the Sunday League side.

Metheringham enjoyed much of the early possession but they came up against a Bassingham side who were organised and well drilled and in the early exchanges the Bassingham boys kept their opponents at bay by restricting them to relatively long range shots that failed to trouble keeper Jordan Dixon. Dixon had to be at his best in the 15th minute when a 30 yard shot from the dangerous looking Jayden Driver was well held.

Jac Wright missed a gilt edged chance for Metheringham 5 minutes later when he shot over when well placed after the Bassingham defence had been dispossessed on the edge of their penalty area.

The breakthrough came after 32 minutes when Metheringham’s Miles Lynch deceived Bassingham keeper Dixon with a direct free kick that was placed over the defensive wall and into the top corner following a foul just outside the edge of the penalty area on the attacking left, the ball nestling in the top corner to give the holders a deserved lead. Prior to this however the impressive Nathan Holland had two chances to open the scoring for Bugle Horn when he was put clean through with only keeper Wayne Greaves to beat but on both occasions the Metheringham keeper stood firm and kept out both goal bound efforts.

Metheringham extended their lead on 37 minutes following a number of successive corners taken by the left foot of Jayden Driver. Each in swinging corner posed serious problems for keeper Dixon as the ball was constantly put directly into the 6 yard box. Dixon could only parry the last of 5 consecutive corners when he pushed the ball onto the bar but it fell to the unmarked Jac Wright who hammered the ball home from inside the 6 yard box.

Worse was to follow for Bassingham in the 41st minute when a tremendous in swing corner, again taken by Driver, appeared to sail directly into the far corner of the net with keeper Dixon unable to get near it, however Ben Garrick claimed to have got a flick on the ball to register scoring in each of Metheringham’s last 4 Cup Finals.

Metheringham keeper Greaves was at his best in the 43rd minute of the game when Bassingham had the opportunity to reduce the arrears from the penalty spot following a trip by Billy Fox on Bassingham’s Ashley Stephenson. Referee Mr Danny Topliss pointed straight to the spot from which Stephenson himself stepped up to take the spot kick. His well struck shot was blocked by keeper Greaves but the ball fell nicely to the onrushing William Sutton who looked destined to score with the follow up but more miracles from Greaves somehow kept his shot out at the expense of a corner which came to nothing.

Metheringham  extended their lead soon after the start of the second half when Ben Garrick tapped in for his sides fourth goal after Anderson had seen his stinging shot parried by keeper Dixon.

Despite both sides having plenty of possession in the second half there were no further goals and Metheringham retained their grip on the cup for the third successive season, winning the trophy for the fourth time in the last 5 seasons.

The trophy was presented by the League’s Chairman, Mr Keith Weaver, assisted by Committee member Mr Paul Hunter.

A healthy crowd was on hand to witness a well contested final despite the elements resembling winter rather than mid-Spring,

Ian Stephenson