9th September Results round-up

Ron Eaglen Challenge Cup – Preliminary Round

I am often asked why it is necessary to have a Preliminary Round of any of our domestic cup competitions as opposed to just starting with round one. The simple answer is that a Preliminary Round is an extra round and is necessary to get the competition to the required number of teams so that we end up with two teams in a final and not 3!

Sunday 9th September saw the prestigious Ron Eaglen Challenge Cup get under way. Highest scorers of the day were Bassingham Bugle Horn FC who hammered 12 goals past Cherry Willingham FC whilst managing to keep a clean sheet for good measure. Bassingham’s scorers included a hat-trick from Dale plus 2 goals each for Barnett, McDonald, and Swales. 2 own goals plus a solo effort from Osborne completed the rout.

Division two side AFC Rustons must have thought that they were going to record one of the shock results of the day when the half-time whistle sounded in their game against Premier Division side New Swan FC. At the break they were leading their Premier Division opponents 2-0 thanks to goals from Simons and Reid but second half goals from Turner, Firth, and Potter ensured that the Premier Division team’s name was the one to go into the draw for the next round.

Another side from the Premier Division, Metheringham FC, were taken all the way by Division 3 side The Sports Bar FC. The 90 minutes produced a 3-3 score line with Jamison hitting a hat-trick for The Sports.  A hat-trick for Garrick plus strikes from Lynch, Atkinson, Rowson and Jones saw the visitors over the line with a 7-3 victory after extra time.

Welton Sports AFC had their own hat-trick hero in Aisthorpe as they saw off the challenge of last Season’s Division 4 champions Morning Star FC. Welton also had Peachman and an own goal to thank for recording a total of 5 goals scored whilst Morning Star netted a consolation goal from Matthews.

New boys Swanpool FC progressed courtesy of a 2-0 home win against Shakespeare Imps with Humberston and Heath the marksmen for the Swans.

Welton FC visited Mulsanne Park to take on the challenge posed by last Season’s Division 3 champions Nettleham FC in a fixture that looked a potential  banana skin for the side from Division one. They need not have feared however as goals from Caines, Morris, and Atkinson ensured their progress with Gould replying for the Nettles.

Waddington United hosted FVA Jerusalem at Mere Road but 2 goals from Pell were not enough for the home side to triumph as a brace by Forbes, plus a goal each for Andrew Wilson and Scott Wilson, ensured that it was the visitors who looked forward to their place in the next round.

Saxilby Athletic recorded a 4-1 win at home to Nosey FC with a brace from Beaumont and individual strikes from Dernley and Brown getting their names inked onto the score sheet. Cornwall was on target for the visitors.

Railway Inn United have got their season off to a flyer after recording an 8-0 League win last week they defeated Dunston FC 3-0 in the cup this week thanks to goals from Float, Markham, and Lilley.

Lincoln RNA go into the next round draw after a 3-0 away win at MH Blue Lion. Their scorers were Russell, Wiggins, and Kelly.

Plough Sturton FC extracted revenge for their Fred Quibell Cup final defeat against Coningsby FC last Season when 2 goals from Pell plus a goal from Kildare saw them return from their trip to Coningby  in this competition with a handsome 3-0 victory.

Ruskington Lions are another new team to join the League this Season and they have started the campaign in impressive form. They recorded a 3-2 win away at AFC West End after goals from Greenwood, Jackson, and Cooper gave them the victory. Goals from Jacob and an own goal for West End were not enough to prevent the new boys from going into the next round.

North Lindum Hawks defeated Witham St Hughs 5-1 with Clay getting what proved only to be a consolation for the new boys from Witham. The scorers for the hawks have not been notified to the League, neither has the scorer of the Fox and Hounds’ goal for their victory at Broadley FC. A solitary goal was enough to see the Fox and Hounds progress.

Premier Division

All teams have now got their League campaigns under way with at least one game played during the first 2 weeks of the Season. The League table has a strange look to it as only 3 teams have got any points after the 2 weeks of the opening games. The 3 teams with points all have maximum points  from the 2 games that they have played.

Leading the table with 6 points and a goal difference of plus 7 is newly promoted AFC Golden Eagle. Their 4-0 win away at Hykeham Memorial FC saw them head the table at the first time of asking. 2 goals from Davies and goals from Higginson and Melladay did the damage for last Season’s Division one champions.

Last Seasons treble winners, Anglers FC, experienced their first defeat since joining the League two years ago. Last Season they remained undefeated in the League and all domestic cup competitions but they were defeated 1-2 at home to Lincoln Moorlands/Railway FC. Wapplington and Asplin were the Moors scorers with Taylor netting the goal for the reigning Champions.

Rustons United are second in the table with maximum points and just one goal behind the leaders. Raby and Wallace gave Rustons the victory with a solitary goal from Slater proving to be too little for Hykeham Town TRFC, a team who many fancy to be strong title challengers at the end of the Season.

Division One

Wishing Well Cherry FC are the early leaders in this division after taking maximum points from their opening two games. A comprehensive win at Wragby by 7-0 was made up of a hat-trick by Lynch plus a brace from Pinnington. Oxby and Wells also added to their goals scored tally to complete the scoring.

Trent Valley FC recorded an excellent 2-1 away win at St Helens with goals from Hewitt and Bee doing the damage, the home side’s goal came courtesy of Whitehouse. This result sees Trent occupying second place in the early stages of the campaign.

Newly promoted Lincoln High Street FC have started the Season well and this was underlined by a useful  looking 3-1 home win against Newton United. Stone chipped in with a couple of goals and a solo goal from Krysttian did the trick with Speck replying for the team from South Clifton.

Division Two

There was just one game played in this division and this saw Old Boys United record their first points of the season. Goals from Moss, Hudson, and a screamer from Swain saw them run out 3-1 winners against Hykeham Social FC. The visitor’s goal was scored by Foster-Mathieson which proved to be no more than a consolation.

Division Three

Just one game was played in this division and this saw new boys Horncastle Town FC head straight to the top of the table courtesy of a 4-2 win at Stacey West FC. Close, Daubney, Cox, and Bodily did the damage on the side that now find themselves at the foot of the table. Two goals from Ross were not enough to rescue anything for the home side.

Division Four

New team Crown & Arrows have raced to the top of the table after their opening 2 games. Their 8-2 win at Metheringham Reserves shows that they have a side that is capable of success this Season. Their goals came from a hat-trick from Bush, plus 2 from Berry with Henson and Hunt wrapping up the scoring. Metheringham had Pimblett and Woolley on target in response.

FVA Jerusalem Reserves overcame Green Dragon 4-2 at Skellingthorpe with the final game between The Shed FC and HBW United having to be postponed on the day due to a sickness bug in The Shed camp.

Ian Stephenson.