9th December – Results and Scorers Round-Up

Ron Eaglen Challenge Cup – Quarter Finals

The League’s Senior Cup took centre stage today with three of the four games going ahead, the final game between Anglers FC and Hykeham Town TRFC was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Saxilby. That game will now be played next weekend to complete the line up for the Semi Final draw.

Rustons United enjoyed a 7-3 win away at Division Two side Old Boys United. Roberts, Hobson and an own goal giving the lower ranked side some consolation against their Premier Division opponents.

Patching scored the opener for Plough Sturton when they visited Fox & Hounds and that strike proved to be the only goal in the first half at Birchwood. A second goal after the break for the striker plus efforts from Blanchard, Lansdall, and Everington completed a good day for the Division Two side and condemned their Division One hosts to what they described as “a bad day at the Office”!

Two goals from Melladay and a goal from Higginson for AFC Golden Eagle proved enough to secure their passage through to the Semi Finals of the competition when they entertained New Swan in an all Premier Division clash at Bracebridge Heath. Davis and Scutt netted for New Swan but this proved to be too little for the visitors on the day.

The draw for the Semi Finals of the Competition will be made at the League Management Committee meeting which will take place on Monday 6th January 2019.

Premier Division

There was just one game played in this division today and that was at Metheringham where the home side entertained in-form Welton Sports AFC. A hat-trick from Furness plus a brace from the free scoring Aisthorpe ensured that it was the Welton side that claimed the points in a 5-1 win. This sees the newly promoted team  climb to 5th place in the table, just 4 points and a game in hand between second place, representing an impressive return to the division that they dropped out of just a couple of Seasons ago.

Division One

Division One leaders Trent Valley faced a real challenge when they visited previous leaders Wishing Well Cherry FC but goals from Munro and Holmes proved too much for the Cherry based team who scored a penalty by Lynch. Trent won this one 2-1 to extend the gap between the two teams now to 11 points. FVA Jerusalem kept on the heels of the leaders with a resounding 7-0 home win against bottom of the table Wragby FC. Russell and McKenzie scored two a piece and further goals from Stanney, Forbes, and an own goal completed the scoring for the Skellingthorpe based team.

St Helens moved in the right direction today when they climbed back into third place following their visit to Newton United. Two goals from Papworth plus a goal from Ilonis secured the points for the Lincoln side after completing a 3-2 win. Leedle scored both goals for Newton, the second actually putting the home side 2-1 up with 15 minutes to go, however St Helens’ winner was a cracker and was fit to win any game.

A brace from Fixter and a goal from Paulson gave North Lindum Hawks a 3-2 home win over Lincoln High Street, who had their own brace goal scorer in Stone.

Division Two

There were two high scoring drawn games in this Division today providing excitement to any who may have been watching, unless of course those watching were the coaching staff of any of the sides involved! Leaders and undefeated AFC Rustons surrendered their 100% League record when second placed Waddington United visited the Ruston Marconi ground. They found themselves a goal down at the interval but 2 second half goals from Miller and a goal from Mills saw them share the points in an exciting 3-3 draw. Waddington had Brothwell, Pell, and a the first senior goal from Copping to thank for them securing a point, the latter coming with literally the last kick of the game.

Cherry Willingham and Coningsby shared even more goals when the two sides went head to head at Cherry. First half goals from Stapleton (2) and a goal from Nixon saw for Coningsby saw the teams share 6 goals before Brown added a fourth in the second half for the visitors. Jones smashed a hat-trick for Cherry and a goal from Ip balanced the scores out but with the game poised at 4-4 Cherry missed a last minute penalty so both teams had to settle for a share of the spoils.

With the top two teams at the beginning of the day both dropping points Nettleham seized their chance to move in among the challengers. Kerrigan hit a hat-trick and Shearwood added his teams fourth when they secured a 4-1 win away at Witham St Hughs, Clay netting the consolation goal for the Witham team. This result sees Nettleham now move into second place, level on points with leaders AFC Rustons despite having played a two games more. With just 4 points separating the top 7 sides this division is likely to see many twists and turns during the second half of the Season.

Oliver, Goldacre, Fletcher, and Crosby all netted for Hykeham Social FC when they defeated Saxilby Athletic 4-1 at Fen Lane.

Division Three

Morning Star continue to look comfortable as leaders after their 6-1 win away at Stacey West FC. A hat-trick from Crampton and 2 goals from Marshall set them on their way, completed by a goal from Smith. Edwards notched the goal for the home side.

The Sports Bar kept the leaders in their sights by remaining in second place with a 4-1 win at Shakespeare Imps, Newby scoring the goal for Shakespeare.

Ruskington Lions hit 5 goals when they visited Lincoln RNA thanks to 2 goals each from Cooper and Jackson and a goal from  Kitchen completed the scoring. Russell grabbed a goal for RNA who deserve great credit for the spirit in which they played the game throughout. Having mustered only a bare 11 at the start of the game they finished the game with just 9 players as they lost 2 players to injury but they competed throughout and played the game in a great spirit, well done to all of them for that.

A brace from Baker and efforts from Tyler-Jack and Mann saw Ruston Sports return from their game at Broadley FC with a 4-3 win.

Division Four

With leaders Bottle & Glass without a fixture today second placed Crown & Arrows took their opportunity to close the gap with both hands after defeating M.H.Blue Lion 6-0 at King George Field. Waplington notched a couple and further goals from Hewson, Nelson,Burgess, and Omeara completed the job which now sees the top two sides locked on 19 points each, each having played 8 games.

Gorman, Jacob, and Matsell scored the goals that secured third placed AFC West End maximum points when they entertained Metheringham Reserves, with Woolley and Logan Waby replying for Meg.

A hat-trick from Lilley and a goal from Paul protected Railway Inn United’s 100% League record as they sit in fourth place in the League following their 4-1 win at home to FVA Jerusalem today. Success in cup competitions has resulted in the United team playing fewer League fixtures than the rest of the teams in the table but as they play catch up after Christmas they look like being among the challengers for the title in this division.

A Bentley hat-trick, two goals from Humberston, plus further goals from Stokes and Horry secured a 7-1 win for Swanpool when they visited HBW United. United scored a Good goal, from Craig Good to be precise, but with Swanpool leading 5-1 at the break it was always going to be a tough ask for the HBW boys in the second half and so it proved to be.

Ian Stephenson