9th April – Match reports

Premier Division

Newton United 1

Ivy Tavern 7

After the 2-0 midweek victory over Ruston Sports propelled the reigning champions to the top of the league it was all about cementing their position when they travelled to South Clifton to face Newton United. It’s often difficult playing against opponents who have nothing to play for so concentration and organisation was always going to be important for the visitors on the day.

After a scrappy opening in glorious sunshine it was the hosts who took the lead against the run of play. Thankfully for the Ivy this spurred them into action. A neat ball over the top from Steven Swinburn found the feet of Sean Cann in the area. He twisted and turned before firing a low shot past the keeper to make it 1-1. This settled the Ivy down as the shackles came off and they began to play with confidence. Within 5 minutes of scoring the equaliser they took control as a searching ball played in behind by George Asplin sent chief tormenter Cann away and with the keeper looking favourite he nipped in to poke the ball into the top corner. The half finished with the Ivy growing ever more in confidence.

The second half started as the first ended with the Ivy on the front foot. It didn’t take long before the third goal arrived. A set piece from Asplin was met by Joe Ayres and with the home keeper beaten a Newton defender handled on the line but sharp spotting ref Danny Topliss didn’t hesitate in awarding the spot kick. Mr Reliable from 12 yards, Danny Wells, stepped up and slotted into the bottom corner. This effectively put the game beyond the hosts and soon after Asplin got on the score sheet after a cross from fizzing Ayres was bundled home. More incisive play from Asplin found Cann and he wasn’t going to miss the opportunity to hit yet another hat-trick to make the score line 5-1. Uzzel, Bridge and Hatton were introduced and it wasn’t long before the latter scored a bullet header from an Ayres cutback. Asplin completed the scoring after Cann’s pull back allowed him to fire home for his second of the morning and to round off a convincing victory.

Welton Sports AFC 0

Metheringham FC 7

Metheringham visited bottom side Welton Sports AFC not only seeking a league double but their first away win in the League this season. Without a recognised striker available they were forced to play central defender Liam Hargrave in an unfamiliar position for him. Despite this Meg started on the front foot and it was Hargrave who went closest as early as the 10th minute, striking the Welton post with a crisp shot. Maintaining this early pressure the lead came as no surprise on 15 minutes with Miles Lynch breaking on the right and putting a ball square to Jayden Driver who rifled home from outside the box. For some reason Meg then lost their way as Welton came back into the game, having good possession, but not really ever troubling keeper Wayne Greaves.

The half ended with Meg holding the 1-0 lead and after some tough talking at the break they again came out on the front foot for the second period. This saw them double their lead on 50 minutes with a build up down the right and from Jayden Driver’s cross Miles Lynch fired home to double the visitor’s advantage. Welton continued to push forward but they were undone again with 15 minutes left with Lynch tucking away his second goal of the game. Now a defeated side Welton were to totally capitulate in the last 5 minutes when Meg scored 4 more to register a  7-0 score line! Goal number 4 saw Driver, on the left by-line, play in Joe Willey and despite his shot being well saved by the home keeper Liam Hargrave was on hand to head home from close range. A minute later Hargrave became provider feeding the ball to Driver and he beat the keeper with a great effort from fully 30 yards. Then on 87 minutes Driver played substitute Jarryd Adamson through and he netted unchallenged from the edge of the box. To complete the scoring Hargrave got his second goal of the game from another pass by Driver.

Division Two

Railway Inn AFC 0

Bassingham Bugle Horn FC 6

Bassingham went into this game having drawn their last 2 games by a 3-3 score line. They also gave away 2 penalties in each of those 2 games.

The visitors were relieved that their regular centre back James (Barny) Barnett was away, which gave them confidence of not continuing their form of giving penalties away as Barny was guilty in each of the last 2 games!

Bassingham started the game with confidence and with the ever present Mark Walker not losing anything in the centre of the park, which continued as they had a host of corners, one of which he nodded in at the far post to give the visitors the lead. The game ebbed and flowed up until the half time whistle with the away team shading the half, but the game was  tightly poised at the break.

The second half was totally controlled by the away side and after another flurry of corners the home goalkeeper went up with Ash Stevenson, only to punch the ball and the striker which somehow ended up with the ball in the back of the net. This brought confidence into the away side and allowed them to enjoy the last 30 minutes of the game, passing freely and defending from the front, but when called upon at the back big Dec, Dunny, Chris, and Craig kept the home side at bay, as well as a couple of smart stops by Jordon in goal. The 3rd goal soon arrived after Chris, aka Pascal Chimbonda, raced through the home sides’ midfield before laying the ball to Ash Stevenson, who gave the keeper the eyes before cooling slotting home. The 4th soon followed when Mark Walker demanded Craig Dungate go up from the back for a free kick, which he played into the box and after a couple of ricochets the ball fell to Dunny’s feet before he fired home, registering his 1st goal for the club. With 25 minutes remaining the gaffer made some changes, bringing on the returning Leigh Johnston, who has been absent from the game due to an illness, with both teams applauding his arrival. 4 soon became 5 when another substitute Daniel Daubney headed home from Johno’s inch perfect cross. Whoever said that Managers don’t make inspired substitutions? To complete the scoring another assist from will Sutton from a free kick found the onrushing, (yes onrushing) Dec to glance home.

Credit to railway who kept going through the whole game and also to the Match Referee, Mark Thomson, who controlled the game from the 1st minute. Bassingham showed great energy levels across the midfield, with Ash Deakin and Will Sutton out wide, and midfield maestro Mark Walker who again walked off the pitch with a bad back! Also a mention for makeshift centre forward Matty Dales who made a nuisance of himself throughout the game and another cameo appearance for Chris Dalziel, who whenever called upon, puts in a solid performance. This was a great squad performance which puts Bassingham in good stead for final weeks of the season before their appearance in the Kelly Read Cup Final.

Red Lion Dunston 3

Crows Athletic 3

On a lovely day for football Crows kicked off what promised to be a very close contest.
The opening 15 minutes proved as expected to be just that with Dunston starting the slightly better. After 18 minutes Dunston took the lead when Greg Brown picked up the ball in the Crows’ penalty area and a slide rule pass to Jake Ellis saw him strike the ball home from 15 yards out into the top left hand corner of the net. Crows then started to up their game with plenty of possession but no real chances but just after the half hour some sloppy defending by Dunston resulted in the equaliser. Crows continued to have the majority of possession for the remaining 15 minutes but the score line stayed at one a piece.

It took 10 minutes of the second half for Dunston to regain the lead with the ball hit low into the Crows’ penalty area enabling Ellis to scramble it home from a couple of yards out. With 30 minutes to go the Dunston Manager, again as in the previous week, made 3 quick changes to give everyone some game time when Sam Fixter, Sean Williamson and Gaz Burr were replaced by James Broughton, Luke Williamson and Paul Masters. With Dunston needing to bed in Crows took advantage with their equaliser coming with 25 minutes left with a cross from their right wing being headed in by their forward.
With 15 minutes remaining Crows took the lead with a well taken goal by their centre forward from just outside the penalty as the ball curled into keeper Steve Brumpton’s top left hand corner. A change in positions by the Dunston Manager gave them the opportunity to penetrate and test the Crows defence in search of the equaliser and 2 or 3 very good chances went begging with one very good save by the Crows keeper. With the game seemingly lost one final ball sent up top saw Brown chase down the defender and take the ball off him where he managed to get a cross in for Ellis to put the ball into the net for his hat- trick. 30 seconds after kick off the whistle was blown for the end of the game. Whilst Crows had a lot of possession 3-3 was probably a fair result in what was a keenly contested match.

Division Three

Newtoft Terriers 2

Turks Head 4

There were recalls to the Turks’ starting XI for Josh Leay and Stevie Smith as gaffer Stu Cook shuffled the pack following Thursday’s poor performance against mid-table rivals North Lindum Hawks. Ben Barber dropped back to the bench. The game started in a scrappy manner with a swirling wind combined with the firm pitch making it difficult for either side to get a passing rhythm going. The hosts almost took the lead on 20 minutes when a long ball over the top fell kindly to Jake Taylor who raced clear of his marker but his shot from the edge of the area fizzed narrowly wide. The visitors gradually got a firmer grip on the game with midfielder Danny Dixon’s passing in particular starting to trouble the Newtoft defence as gaps were beginning to open up. Turks took the lead midway through the first half as an excellent lofted through ball from Dixon caught the home side napping and Josh Leay pounced to give his side the lead.

The second half saw Turks continue to put pressure on the Newtoft defence and it was Leay who struck again to double his side’s advantage. He then completed his hat-trick soon after, racing clear and rounding the ‘keeper. Turks then threw on Barber for fullback David Brain, the influential Dixon dropping into the back four. Credit must go to Newtoft who didn’t capitulate, giving themselves a chance by forcing a goal back to reduce the deficit although it was mired in controversy. The referee failed to stop play for a head injury on Turks’ Tony Blee in the build up and the goal stood. This injury forced Turks to withdraw Blee and saw the introduction of Stephen Finch who, because of various injuries, was making his first appearance of the season in April! A goal from Tom O’Rourke then effectively ended the match as a contest, with only a late consolation from Newtoft making it 4-2 to the visitors. This win, with results elsewhere sees Turks climb a place to 5th and still with a very remote chance of a 3rd place finish.

North Lindum Hawks 0

Dynamo Varsity 2

North Lindum Hawks won the toss and opted to attack down the slop on a difficult dry hard surface at Ravendale Drive. They had the lion’s share of the first 20 minutes without troubling Chris Melton’s goal. That would change after 25 minutes when on the break they broke through but Chris Melton was out quick to thwart. Varsity would immediately punish the Hawks on the break when a quick ball by Josh Hayes found Vincent Van Doninck who powered into the area before tucking away for a smash and grab lead.

The second half was a more balanced affair with both teams sharing chances as Varsity looked to play on the break against the home side. Dan Barnes had one cleared off the line before hitting the post for the away side before Chris Melton made a good save to keep Varsity ahead.

The Hawks began to push bodies forward and Adam Tollerton made a smart run on the break from his own half into the North Lindum area before squaring to the unmarked Jamie Earls who slotted home to double Varsity’s lead. North Lindum had one final chance late on to reduce the deficit but Chris Melton again saved to secure all three points for Dynamo Varsity. Dynamo’s man of the match was Vincent Van Doninck who covered every blade of grass with Chris Melton’s performance in goal going a very close second.

Ian Stephenson