6th November – match reports

Premier Division

Metheringham FC 0

Lincoln Moorlands 2

Metheringham were not only looking for a fifth win in a row but also to looking to maintain their 100% home record as they got back to league business for the first time since 25th September.  Opponents Lincoln Moorlands had quietly climbed to second in the table, albeit having played at least two games more than most sides.

On a foul day for weather Metheringham were forced to play without a recognised out and out striker and it was to prove to their cost. The first half was totally dominated by Meg and they will wonder for a long time as to how and why they did not at least put one of their numerous chances away.

In the second half it was a similar picture for the first 15 minutes until a long ball down field saw Moorlands put a chance wide of the Meg post. This chance obviously inspired the city side as they then hit the home woodwork and on 62 minutes uncertainty in the home defence saw Moorlands go ahead from close range. Meg continued to huff and puff but it was never going to happen for them and with just 3 minutes to go they were caught stretched at the back and a penalty was given away by Miles Lynch to give Moorlands victory by 2-0. On reflection Meg were a bit like a damp firework as they failed to score for the first time and now they have three very difficult home games coming up against Ivy Tavern twice (League and Ron Eaglen cup) and Holbeach United in the County cup.

Division Two

Plough Sturton 1

Waddington Utd 5

Waddington United inflicted the first league defeat of the season on Plough Sturton, a side that they have struggled to get the upper hand against in previous encounters. Waddington opened the scoring through Max Heath and he doubled Waddington’s advantage before half time.

Plough pulled a goal back early in the second half but Rikki Peterson restored the two goal advantage with a sublime finish after beating the offside trap. Peterson added his second, Waddington’s fourth, before Heath put the icing on the cake by completing  his hat trick and a fully deserved 5-1 win to put Waddington third in the table. The game however was marred by a serious head injury to Thomas Mangham. Everyone at Waddington United wishes him a speedy recovery and swift return to football.

The League also endorse Waddington’s best wishes to Thomas and hope that he is soon fit and well to resume playing again.

Red Lion Dunston 3

Newton United Res 2

On a very wet and bitterly cold Sunday morning, Dunston entertained Newton United Reserves looking to maintain their competitiveness that has been seen in recent games.

The  match kicked off and soon entered into an even game with both teams looking for the opening goal with Dunston possibly just shading it with the better chances. In the 25th minute the opening goal went Newton’s way when a ball over the top to the left winger saw him break free to put the ball into the net over Dunstons keeper Steve Brumpton. 10 minutes later and things got worse with some bad defending that allowed the Newton forward to break through and slot the ball into the net from the edge of the 6 yard box. Newton were now in control and looking very comfortable and deserving of their lead, Dunston however were given a lifeline when a free kick was awarded 20 yards out and a nice delivery from Shinny Williamson saw the ball saved by the keeper with the rebound put into the net from only one yard out by George Shores. An opportune moment to score as there was barely a minute left remaining of the first half.

A quick turnaround was the order of the day with the incessant rain and chill factor and as in the first half the second period started with both teams cancelling each other out. 20 minutes in and Dunston were back to level status when a mistake by the Newton keeper miss hit the ball when attempting to clear and this let Shores in to score his second from a yard out, albeit from a much tighter angle. Both teams continued to create chances but it was Dunston who scored the third and winning goal of an entertaining game considering the difficult conditions. The goal came 20 minutes from time when, in his first game since 20th March and after a big welcome back having sustained serious ligament damage, Anthony Bellamy picked up the ball halfway in Newton’s half. He then went on a run before rounding three players and firing the ball home from just inside the 18 yard box.

With the game far from over Newton came again with the Dunston defence remaining firm until the final whistle to give the home side a 3-2 victory.

Division Three

Cherry Willingham FC 4

Dynamo Varsity 2

The weather was anything but cracking as the two teams took to the pitch. The game began in an open fashion with both teams having chances, but it was Varsity who took the lead when Josh Hayes played Derek Wyld through to make it one nil. Cherry responded with some good pressure but it was soon 2-0 when Jamie Green, who was carrying an ankle injury at the time, steered the ball into the top corner before being substituted.

The home side then had most of the rest of the half although Josh Hayes and Vincent Van Doninck both had good chances to extend Dynamo’s lead but both efforts were well saved.

The start of the second half saw Cherry come out with even more purpose but struggling to find a breakthrough. After missing a number of good chances a cross found the back of the net to push them further onto the front foot. With the momentum they soon equalised before adding a third and fourth towards the end of the half to secure all three points which were deserved. Dynamo Varsity’s man of the match was Craig Jones.

Division FOUR

The Blue Lion FC 1

AFC Golden Eagle 23

The Blue Lion were always likely to find this game to be a tough one against a well organised and skilful Eagle team. Lion started very well going something like 20 minutes without conceding whilst actually having chances of their own. Unfortunately for Blue Lion they had to make two substitutions due to injuries and in doing so they lost the services of 2 very good players. This seemed to be their downfall as they slipped behind and then went on a conceding streak which saw them go into the half time break being close to conceding double figures.

In the second half Blue Lion came and used their third and final substitute for another injury which left them having to play with another injured player being forced to play on when a pulled muscle struck him down. The second half saw moments of great football and then moments of terrible play when Lion got their first and only goal of the game from Tom Hirons after he used his weaker foot to put the ball into the top corner. He will pretend that hei meant it and who can deny him that glory after his team then went on to lose the game by 23-1. The score line doesn’t accurately reflect how the game went but Blue Lion will move on heads with their heads held high.

Ian Stephenson