6th January – Results & Goal Scorer Round-Up

Premier Division

New Swan 1-4  Lincoln Moorlands/Railway

Lincoln Moorlands/Railway returned to the top of the table after two first half goals from Wapplington plus goals after the break from Smith and Bescoby proved too much for New Swan today. Davis netted for the home side to give them a consolation goal against the latest League leaders.

Hykeham Memorial 2-7  Metheringham FC

A hat-trick apiece for both Garrick and Lynch did the damage for a Metheringham side who have enjoyed a real up-turn in results in recent games. Their goals plus a further effort from Robinson heaped more pressure on the Division’s bottom side, who’s  goals came from Waite and Newman. Despite a goals for/against column still showing 26 goals in deficit Metheringham now have a points tally of 12 points from 11 games which seemed a very long way off at the end of October.

Division One

Trent Valley 11-1  Wragby FC 

Leaders Trent Valley extended their lead to 5 points at the top of this Division after they boasted hat-trick heroes Hewitt and Holmes against bottom of the table Wragby FC today. Bee and Ekins each chipped in with a brace apiece and a goal from Cooper completed their impressive “goals for” tally on the day. Dyas scored a goal for the visitors but this could not prevent the leaders from registering a victory by a double figures margin.

Fox & Hounds FC  1-5  St Helens

St Helens enjoyed an excellent win against their nearest rivals thanks to a Millar hat-trick and goals from Stafford and Papworth. Ardron notches a goal for the home side on a day that their Manager described as being “a bad day at the Office”.

The final game in this Division saw Wishing Well Cherry return with all three points from their visit to North Lindum Hawks.

Division Two

Witham St Hughs  2-3  AFC Rustons

A first half goal from Barratt for Witham looked to threaten Rustons’ unbeaten League record but second half goals from Robinson, Reid, and Miller preserved the Leader’s proud record so far this Season and kept their noses in front in the title race. Gaskell scored a second for the home side to keep them in the game but they came up just short on the day.

Plough Sturton  4-0  Hykeham Social FC

Plough Sturton kept firmly on the heels of the Leaders with a solid looking 4-0 win against Hykeham Social FC courtesy of goals from Oliver, Benson, Everington, and Lansdall. This result keeps the Sturton based team within 2 points of Rustons, both sides having just one game more to play before they reach the half way point in their fixtures.

Old Boys United  1-7  Nettleham FC

Nettleham remain firmly in the title hunt in third place after their 7-1 victory away at early leaders Old Boys United. Park scored a hat-trick whilst Kerrigan and Shearwood each scored 2 goals apiece to boost their goal difference. Moss reduced that goal difference by one goal with his solitary goal for the home team.

Saxilby Athletic 3-0 Dunston FC

Maxwell, Hicks, and Poole were the men on target for Saxilby Athletic against the team that remain rooted to the bottom of the League when the two met at Saxilby. The win sees Saxilby inching forward towards a mid-table spot after what proved to be a difficult start to their Season.

Division Three

The Sports Bar 4-0 Morning Star

The game of the day on paper in this Division saw the top two teams go head to head when The Sports Bar played host to Leaders Morning Star. Sports Bar came out shining after goals from Jack, Jamison, Ranyard, and Ward secured the victory which now sees them just 2 points behind their opponents on the day with both sides having just past the half-way point of the Season.

Queen Athletic  4-2  Lincoln RNA

Queen moved up to fourth place in the table after goals from Bone, Marklew, Moulds, and Parkinson set them on their way against Lincoln RNA. A brace from Russell reduced the deficit but it was the Queen who ran out victors on a day which saw the visitors drop to third from bottom at the other end of the table.

Horncastle Town  1-2  Ruston Sports

The two sides with the meanest defences came up against each other in this intriguing game at Horncastle. Timmins scored for the home side but goals from Cutting and Norris earned the points for the visitors to keep their unbeaten League record in place and to see them handily placed for the run in between now and the end of the Season.

Broadley FC  1-0  Stacey West FC 

A solitary goal from Foley was enough to earn Broadley the maximum points from their game with Stacey West. This result makes life look a little easier for Broadley whilst Stacey West remain stuck at the bottom of the table with just a single win from their first 12 games.

Division Four

The Shed   1-12  Crown & Arrows

Crown & Arrows remain in top spot after their 12-1 demolition of The Shed.

AFC West End  1-5  Bottle & Glass FC

Stocks lit the touch paper on this game with a wonderful volley after chesting the ball down, as well as adding a second goal later in the game. Further goals from Chapman, Giddens, Tatton, and Towler completed the scoring whilst Gorman grabbed a consolation goal for the hosts.

The Ferryboat  4-3  Railway Inn United

Two goals from Lig, and efforts from Wilding and Flintham, contrived to cause Railway their first League defeat of the Season at Branston. Lilley, Smith, and Clark all responded for the visitors but it was too little too late for the team who previously had a 100% League record.

Metheringham Reserves  4-4  Green Dragon

There was great entertainment in this game with 8 goals and the points shared between two sides who occupy two of the bottom three places in the Division. Meg’s goals came from Stafford (2), Barnes, and Brightley, whilst Stephenson (2), Harley, and Pain scored for Dragon. This result leaves Meg still looking for their first League win of the Season but one point is better than none, and this was the third time this Season that Meg have registered a draw.

M.H.Blue Lion  4-3  HBW United

HBW raced into a two goal lead with goals from Barber and Good before Lion pulled the game back thanks to goals from Wood and a Hirons penalty. Williamson restored the lead for HBW and as the game neared its end it took two goals from Wilkinson for the home side to secure the points, much to the delight of the goal scorer himself, not to mention his team mates and those watching from the home side.

Ian Stephenson