5th November – Match Reports

Lincolnshire County Football Association – County Sunday Cup Round Three

Broughton Working Mens Club 6-2  Old Boys United

Old Boys made the trip to Brigg in the County Cup and goals from Jack Hobson and Steven Betley were the only highlights of the day as Old Boys suffered a 6-2 defeat

North Lindum Hawks 3-1  Metheringham FC (after extra time)

Metheringham went into their County Cup tie with no recognised midfielder available. Visiting Division Two side North Lindum Hawks they were fully aware that they would be the subject of a giant killing act should they lose. The opening exchanges were fairly even but then inside five minutes Meg forced four corners in quick succession and from the last one Sora Horouchi struck the post with a crisp shot. Meg then suffered an early injury with experienced defender Aaron Harrison suffering a repeat of a cruciate ligament injury when getting up following a coming together with an opponent. This saw Meg forced to give a debut to new signing James Rawdon-Jones. The deadlock was broken on 26 minutes when a long kick down field the field from the home keeper was collected by the striker who ran on to tuck his shot into the corner of the net. Meg levelled 10 minute later when Jayden Driver fed to ball through to Ben Garrick for him to slot home.

The second half saw Meg forward Garrick thwarted by the excellent NLH keeper who tipped his effort around the post. Chances were few and far between as the game ebbed and flowed and it was no surprise that the game went into extra time and it was almost certain that an error by either side would prove to be costly. In the end this proved to be by Meg keeper Wayne Greaves who saw a speculative shot from 20 yards squirm through his legs and over the line. Meg huffed and puffed in search of a second equaliser but before the end the under-dogs deservedly got a third and before the end they could have got a fourth but struck the Meg post as they completed a giant killing act which they will remember for a very long time.

Techseal FC  3-1  Waddington United

Waddington United travelled to Grimsby to face Techseal FC who are in the top flight of the Grimsby League. The home side started the brighter and certainly gave Waddington plenty to think about in the opening 20 minutes. Techseal grasped the initiative, taking the lead from the penalty spot midway through the half and they doubled their advantage 90 seconds later, reacting the quickest after a shot was well saved by Waddington keeper Dave Kirkbright when the ball came back off the post. Three minutes later Rikki Peterson rifled the ball home from 25 yards after his initial effort from a free kick was blocked. Waddington came back into the game and it took an incredible defensive goal line block from a Peterson effort to keep Techseal ahead. A Max Heath effort was adjudged to have been offside in the early part of a well worked move two minutes before the break as Techseal’s keeper was certainly the busier in the final 10 minutes of the first half .

The next goal was going to be crucial and Ryan Pell brought a sensational save from the home team’s goalkeeper with a header in the opening minutes of the second half. Despite several chances Waddington remained behind but the game changed on the hour with a stunning free kick which flew into the top corner of the net from 30 yards that would’ve beaten three keepers! Waddington refused to give up but were unable to find the telling pass to open up their opponents’ defence as the game ended 3-1 to Techseal. Waddington should be proud of their performance against a much higher ranked side in a game where the two goal margin flattered their victors. Referee Mr P.Jagger should be congratulated for his performance as he had a very good game, taking control early on and as a consequence he had little or no trouble at all in the second half.

Ian Stephenson