4th September – match reports

Lincolnshire County Football Association – County Sunday Cup Round One

Bassingham Bugle Horn FC 5

Old Boys  United2

Old Boys United endured a day to forget with a defeat at Bassingham with goals from Mark Hodges and Josh Cheetham proving to be no more than a consolation.

Hykeham Memorial FC 2

Ivy Tavern 4

Ivy Tavern secured their place in the next round of the Cup with a hard fought victory over Hykeham Memorial. After a scrappy start the home side took the lead just before the break. The second half followed a similar pattern and Ivy’s cause was not helped when they lost prolific scorer Jordan Taylor following a clash of heads with a defender. The enforced change saw a change of formation with Joe Ayres and Callum Dye entering the fray. Immediately the energetic Dye seemed to spark the Ivy into life. 5 minutes later they were level after a ball round the corner from Dye fell into the path of Sean Cann who rifled a left foot strike past the helpless Hykeham keeper. This seemed to lift the Ivy but after another scrappy ball forward they fell behind again after an uncharacteristic mistake by keeper Rick Chester, the ball rolling under his body albeit with the aid of a bobble. The visitors drew level for the second time from their next attack after good work by Dye. He released Kieran Helsdown into the box and he wriggled past a couple of challenges before firing hard and low which the keeper parried into the 6 yard area where Cann was on hand to tap in the rebound from 5 yards out. This gave the Ivy confidence and they grew into the game more and more. It wasn’t long before they took the lead for the first time when Dye put the ball into the path of Cann who attempted a lob which proved successful leaving the goalkeeper stranded. The ball bounced off one post before rolling along the line, hitting the other post and nestling in the back of the net. The final goal of the game was scored by Joe Ayres, this time Cann turned into the provider by pulling the ball back for Ayres who composed himself before rolling the ball under the keepers body. Ivy MOM was Callum Dye –His energy and direct forward approach sparked them into life in the second half.

Lincoln Moorlands 10

Mulberry FC 1

Lincoln Moorlands settled into their new home nicely with a 10-1 win over Spalding based Mulberry FC. Danny Bee scored 5 on his debut for the club and Dean Szendrey netted 2 on his first game with his new team. Moorlands hit the bar and post for good measure as well as being guilty of missing some good chances. Matthew Burkes, George Asplin and an own goal by Mulberry’s substitute with his first touch rounded off the scoring.

Metheringham FC 4

Sutton Bridge United 1

This was not the sort of baptism new manager Richard Hargrave wanted as he started his reign at the helm of Metheringham FC. Having reached the semi final in two of the last three seasons Metheringham hosted Spalding League side Sutton Bridge United in their County Cup first round tie, their first game of the new season.  Team selection was not difficult for Richard as he had 13 players unavailable for a variety of reasons, leaving him with a skeleton squad which included two players carrying injuries.  He also had some record to live up to as Meg had opened their last 7 seasons with victories going back to 2009.  As for their opponents they had 7 players who had been involved in a cup tie for Sutton Bridge United (Saturday) the day before, a game that went to extra time. Despite this it was the visitors who started strongly and with some pace up front they created a couple of half chances which came to nothing. Then on 10 minutes a long diagonal ball from right to left found Jayden Driver and he took it in his stride before rifling home across the keeper from outside the box. This then became 2-0 on 24 minutes when a cross by Leigh Buff saw Jake Thorpe attempt an overhead kick but it fell to Mark Jordan on the edge of the six and he swivelled and shot home on the volley from close range. 6 minutes later the busy Jay Driver went on a mazy run before putting a ball across the box for Jordan to bag his second.  A fourth came on 40 minutes when a deep cross by Buff was met on the half volley by Driver for him to beat the keeper with a stunning shot. Virtually with the last kick of the first half Sutton reduced the arrears from a direct free kick on the left edge of the box. Despite the 3 goal deficit Sutton opened the second half positively but, with the wind at their back, they were guilty of playing too long a ball which was egg and milk for Meg’s assured keeper Carl Stubbs who commanded his defence excellently. Meg had to make enforced changes but, despite the changes, they were able to contain their opponents and on reflection, deservedly went on to win, with what was a workmanlike performance.

Division 2

Waddington United 1

Greenbank FC 3

Waddington United started their 2016/17 campaign with a home defeat to last season’s Division Four Champions Greenbank FC. The game started in rather blustery conditions and the opening exchanges proved to be a relatively even encounter. A lot of grit and determination from both sides in the middle of the park saw each team cancel each other out. The first real chance fell the way of Greenbank forward Bryan Skayman. A cross from the right hand side saw Skayman bring the ball down 6 yards from goal. With the home side screaming for offside last season’s top scorer somehow dragged his shot wide. A good period of pressure from Greenbank ensued but Waddington defended resolutely. Soon after it was Waddington’s turn to take hold of the game. Their midfield started to win the individual battles calling the Greenbank back line into action. Quite how Waddington didn’t open the scoring during their extended period of pressure is a question all in attendance couldn’t answer. Firstly, Pickering was left helpless to a lob that looked destined for the net, only to be rescued by the crossbar and the covering defender managed to hook clear. Not long after a cross from the left saw Pickering caught under the ball, allowing the Waddington player a free head at goal. The ball looked destined for the net only for newly appointed Greenbank skipper, Javin Pillay, to fly out of nowhere to acrobatically clear off the goal line, much to the home sides amazement. The final chance of note for Waddington saw them hit the woodwork again, Pickering rushing out to the back post to put pressure on the attacker’s header towards goal, just doing enough to see the ball glance off his post.

Half time saw Greenbank make a change, one that proved to be a match winning decision. Shane Clancy replaced the ever dangerous Callum Fatchett up front. Greenbank started the second half the better of the sides and took the lead as a result of some great work from Shane Clancy. A ball down the right hand channel appeared to bring little danger, however Clancy spun the ball round the corner and beat the left back for pace before cutting inside and shrugging off a last ditch tackle from another defender before unselfishly squaring the ball to Bryan Skayman to slot into an empty net and open his account for the season. Soon after it was 2-0. Great work down the left from Murphy and Skayman saw the ball squared to Clancy who calmly slotted the ball back across the keeper and extend the visitor’s lead. Clancy’s goal celebration saw a world record attempt at the Javelin, as the corner flag took flight across Mere Road. They should really have managed the game from this point on and seen out the victory. However, to their credit, Waddington didn’t lie down and they got a goal that they probably deserved. A long kick from the home side’s keeper, saw Daubney make a mess of the bouncing ball and skipper Pillay making himself look equally as silly, as his salmon like jump failed to impress, leaving home substitute Danny Hunt in on goal to lift the ball over the onrushing Pickering. A siege on the Greenbank goal inevitably came as the home side looked to rescue a point in the last 8 minutes, something that looked unlikely as the clock passed 80 minutes. The Greenbank back line looked rattled and only the woodwork could rescue them for the third time! Another opportunity at the back post saw the home team’s header hit the foot of the post and roll out of play. All that remained was for the hugely impressive Clancy to round off a superb second half performance by racing through on goal after an error by Waddington’s last man and he slotted home his second of the day to send newly promoted Greenbank home with the perfect start with all 3 points.

Division 3

Newtoft Terriers 0

Dynamo Varsity 5

This game was actually a lot tighter in the first half than the score line suggests although the visitors went into the break 2-0 up following goals from Sam Joyce and Josh Hayes who both burst through before scoring. Newtoft started the better of the teams in the second half but Dynamo somehow netted through the goal of the day after Josh Hayes picked out the top corner from the edge of the box. The home side then imploded for the next 10 minutes and Jamie Green and then Derek Wyld added to the score line to seal the win just after the hour mark.

Turks Head 2

Shakespeare Athletic 4

Two promoted clubs from Division Four last season met again this time in Division Three with the home side looking to beat Shakespeare for the first time in 3 attempts. The visitors started the brightest, pressing forward and working the ball around the midfield neatly. This was aided by the excellent playing surface. A deflected goal from debutant Hickey for the visitors was all that separated the sides at the interval. Shakespeare maintained their control of the game after the break however and soon doubled their lead following a goalmouth scramble resulting in Matthews smashing the ball home from a corner. Their third came from the penalty spot when the home keeper was adjudged to have felled Hickey. Hickey duly converted the resulting penalty himself after dusting himself down to record his second goal of the day. Turks then had a slice of good fortune themselves as the referee penalised the visiting centre back for handball when he appeared to block the ball with his chest. Liam Welsh blasting home the resulting penalty to make it 1-3. The visitors then restored their 3 goal advantage when Smith ran through and rounded the advancing keeper before slotting the ball into the empty net. The last action of the game was a headed goal from Turks Head winger Chris Egan which reduced the deficit to 2-4. All in all, it was a deserved victory for Shakespeare Athletic while Turks Head manager Stu Cook will look forward to the return of some key players from injury and holiday in time for the visit of their nearest neighbours and local rivals HBW in 2 weeks time.

Division 4  

Coningsby FC 16

The Blue Lion 0

The first league game of the season for these two newcomers to the League saw Coningsby FC run riot in front of goal. Both teams took time to settle in to the game but the deadlock was broken on 10 minutes when Tom Sewell ran on to a through ball before firing the ball low past the keeper to make it 1-0 to the home side. Only 5 minutes later Sewell added a second as the ball fell to him at the back post from a corner. Confidence was now high in the Coningsby team and soon after they were 3-0 up as a cross from Ash Webb found Stu Thomson unmarked in the box. Only 2 minutes later the same combination made it 4-0 with only 25 minutes played. A third for Thomson from the penalty spot soon followed. Captain Ben Brown got on the score sheet next and as the half came to a close Thomson tapped in his 4th and Andy Wyre broke through to make it 8-0 at Half time.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first. Constant pressure from Coningsby saw substitute James Todd score 15 minutes in before setting Thomson up for his 5th of the game soon after. Todd then fired in another quick goal from distance before fellow substitute Lee Scanlan got on the score sheet with 20 minutes left to play. James Todd then completed his hat trick before Thomson added another quick fire double to take his tally to 7 for the day. As the clock ticked down Todd then broke free and added his 4th of the game to complete a memorable day for the home team on their debut in the League.

Hykeham Athletic 3

Birchwood United 2

The visitors started the better of the two sides and took a deserved lead when the hosts failed to deal with a long throw and the ball was hooked in. The first half was a scrappy affair but Hykeham grew into the game and turned the match on its head with five minutes of the half remaining. Firstly Michael Bland volleyed the ball home from 20 yards and then Barry McGann rose highest to head home a pinpoint corner delivered by Steff Pearce.

It was 3-1  mid way through the second half as a Birchwood defender headed past his own goalkeeper. The game ended 3-2 as Birchwood scored with the last kick of the game after the ball was knocked in on the rebound after Phil Mcgann had pulled off an impressive save.

Nosey FC 3

FVA Jerusalem Reserves 2

Nosey FC opened their points account with a win at home to FVA Jerusalem Reserves. 10 minutes into the game the home side lost their goalkeeper through injury with Danny Brown being called upon to replace the injured Mat Thomas who had twisted his ankle. After a nervous start he steadily grew into game  pulling off some fine saves. It was the home team that took the initiative in the first half after a perfectly delivered corner by Rob Wright went straight into the path of Oliver Spencer. Chris Chancellor then put the home side 2-0 up just before the half time break.

After the break it was the visitors who were putting the Nosey FC defence under pressure again and they managed to level the game to make it 2-2 however Nosey managed to score the winning goal on the counter attack when they attacked down the left with some good work by Robbie Everington. He delivered a telling cross which was met with an overhead kick and match winning goal by Chris Chancellor to see the home side record a victory in their first game playing under their new name.

The Shed FC 0

AFC Golden Eagle 9

This game saw a dominant performance by AFC Golden Eagle, with their fans out in numbers. They quickly came to terms with the game and they lead 5-0 at half time thanks to 2 goals from Higginson and solo efforts from Nelson, Omelia, and Williams.

An equally strong performance in the second half saw goals from Redford, Richards, Omelia and Higginson who capped his AFC Golden Eagle debut with a well taken hat trick.

Ian Stephenson