3rd December – Match Reports

Division One

Old Boys United   6-2   AFC Lincoln Green

Old Boys defeated Lincoln Green 6-2 at Fen Road but the score line doesn’t justify the heart and passion that the 9 men of Lincoln Green showed on Sunday having only been able to muster 9 players. Those players gave the hosts a run for their money. Jack Hobson gave Old Boys an early lead but 10 minutes later Old Boys found themselves trailing to Lincoln Green before James Waby got his first goal of the season after poking the ball home in a goalmouth scramble. Jack Hobson got his second from the spot giving the home team the lead again

In the second half Old Boys managed to put to good use their 2 man numerical advantage and it was Jack Hobson who completed his hat trick making the score line 4-2. Tony Sewell thought he had made it 5 only to be disappointed as his effort was ruled offside, Jack Thompson must have thought that Christmas had come early when he scored after going on a very long run without a goal and it was that man Jack Hobson again who made the final score 6-2 in favour of the Old Boys.

Division Two

 Plough Sturton   2-1   Heighington FC

 An entertaining Division Two clash was settled ultimately in favour of the home side, although it was anything but a straight forward win. The game started with the visitors’ pinned in their own half, unable to play their way out of trouble on an unyielding and bobbly pitch. Although the hosts were enjoying the majority of the possession they were unable to carve out any clear cut chances. Gradually the visitors grew into the game and had a great chance to open the scoring when Jack Shotbolt broke through Plough’s backline and unselfishly squared the ball to Liam Welsh who somehow managed to completely fluff his lines from 12 yards.

With 5 minutes it was Welsh who was threatening again, this time racing clear onto a fantastic through ball. As the keeper advanced out to narrow the angle he lifted the ball over him only to see it crash back off the crossbar. Heighington could now smell blood but as is often the way in football were hit with a sucker punch just before half time. Good work down Plough Sturton’s right flank saw a ball fizzed into the area which hit Heighington’s veteran centre back Tony Blee and deflected agonisingly into his own net.

Plough then doubled their advantage early in the second half, heading home from a corner. Finding themselves 2-0 down the visitors threw caution to the wind and started to really attack the home side. With around 15 minutes to go they halved the deficit, top scorer Greg Brown turning on the edge of the box and finishing accurately from 18 yards.

Switching to 4-4-2 formation Heighington spent the remainder of the game hunting for the elusive 2nd goal which would have given them a share of the points but ultimately they were to leave pointless.

 Waddington United  1-0   Coningsby FC

Waddington’s game against Coningsby was a credit to Sunday League football with a closely fought sporting match that was decided by a touch of class by Craig Mitchell.

After a tight first half with few chances, the second half was more open, with both keepers being much busier. Waddington grew in confidence as the half progressed and began to create the better openings, managing to get the ball in the net on 75 minutes through Rikki Peterson but his effort was correctly ruled out for offside.

Waddington hit the woodwork and shortly after forced the Coningsby keeper to make a great stop from a Jason Brothwell header. Despite Waddington having the majority of play Coningsby had their own chance to take the lead on the break but even though they managed to evade the efforts of keeper Dave Kirkbright Ryan Pell was on hand to clear the goal bound effort up field.

The only goal of the game came on 84 minutes and it started with Will Brothwell pressing his opposite number and playing in Mitchell. Advancing up the pitch he played a delightful one-two with Max Heath before producing a sublime finish to the keeper’s right into the bottom corner of the net. Although they earned all three points what was more important and pleasing for Waddington was keeping a clean sheet, having conceded 16 goals in their previous three games.

Division Three

 Railway Inn United 1-6   Queen Athletic

Queen Athletic were playing their first league game in some time against Railway Inn United. Sadly Railway could only muster 10 players for the game but all credit to them for going ahead and playing regardless.

Within the first 10 minutes Queen Athletic were ahead thanks to the assist machine that is Liam Grainger who got himself on the score sheet. Queen continued to pile on the pressure with a hat trick from their top goal scorer Chris Moulds, who continued his rich vein of form this Season. With the consistency that he is producing he must have the opportunity to be amongst the leading scorers in the division at the end of the Season should his form continue.

After the half time break Queen seemed to ease off allowing Railway to come back into the game. Out of the blue Paul Marklew added to the score line alongside a further goal from the ever impressive Chris Moulds. Railway did pull a goal back but by then it was too little too late.

Ian Stephenson