30th October – match reports

Lincolnshire County Football Association County Sunday Cup – Round Three

Crosby United 1

Ivy Tavern 7

Ivy Tavern progressed to the last 16 of the competition at the expense of Scunthorpe side Crosby United. Knowing little about their opponents they travelled for the third consecutive time in the competition this season.

The game turned out to be comfortable for the Ivy with chances coming right from the first minute. The only surprise to the Ivy management was that it took them until the 40 minute mark before they took the lead. Jordan Curtis, who was playing in the unfamiliar role of centre forward, was quickest to react in the box after Sean Cann’s effort was parried by the goalkeeper. Curtis produced a neat finish wrong-footing the keeper from close range. The second arrived just before the break as Curtis again challenged the keeper from a lovely curling free kick from Joe Ayres. With both players ending up in the net the ball followed and despite a brief mêlée the goal was awarded.

Ivy came out in the second half in first gear and their hosts began to gain some possession for the first time in the match. The visitors were soon to unleash a sucker punch after a quick throw in from Liam Uzzell was flicked on by Curtis to Sean Cann who chested the ball down before drilling it under the keeper to make it 3-0. Cann was again involved in the fourth goal, this time being brought down in the area after a mazy run. Jordan Curtis confidently stepped up to complete his hat-trick.

They then seemed to take their foot off the gas by allowing the home side to score with a rare effort on target, but thankfully for the Ivy this woke them up up as Cann got his second of the game, beating the offside trap to slot home under the advancing keeper. He then completed his hat-trick, running clear one on one before firing home. The final act of the day was when Cann added his fourth, and Ivy’s seventh, after beating a couple of challenges before drilling the ball home into the bottom corner.

Rick Chester returned in goal but in truth wasn’t really troubled, when he was called upon he was assured with his handling, kicking and throwing. Matt Waite stepped in at right back and put in some commanding tackles, James Stokes and Scott Birdsall played in the middle of the back four and showed their quality as they have never played in a central pair before. Liam Uzzell again put in a competent performance at left back showing quality defending and looking going forward, Joe Ayres put in a very good shift on the right hand side with his surging runs and through balls and he always looked a threat. Jack Wilkinson came back into the side and always looked to drive forward at every opportunity, Danny Wells also returned to the fray in the middle of the park accompanied by stand in skipper Steve Swinburn who won every first and second ball allowing Wells a free role to roam forward.

Up front Jordan Curtis stepped in and he put in a very workmanlike performance, competing in the air and running the channels from the first minute and he thoroughly deserved his treble. Sean Cann’s goals tally for this season now stands at 24 goals scored from just 6 games played. On the bench were the unlucky Liam Barker and Kevin Smith who both came on during the second period to put their stamp on proceedings with Pier Anu the final change coming on upfront.  He was unlucky not to add to team’s goal tally.

Metheringham FC 3

FVA Jerusalem 2

Metheringham were looking to maintain their 100% home record with a fourth win in a row when they hosted old adversaries FVA Jerusalem in this third tie of the County Cup. A win would take them into the last sixteen, with a further nine Lincoln Sunday League sides also in the same position.  Manager Richard Hargrave was again short of several senior and key players but thankfully he always seems to be able to call on the old faithful.

In Richard’s word he said ‘it was perhaps our worst performance of the season and an ugly win!’  Two of Meg’s young stars bagged a goal apiece in the first half with Jayden Driver netting his seventh of the campaign and doubling his club tally. It came out of nothing with him dribbling his way through a group of players before finishing with aplomb. Jay then became provider as Kyle Thompson headed home his first club goal from his cross.

Having not played well for 45 minutes it looked like the second half could be a bit of a stroll but how wrong can you be. Meg’s performance got gradually worse and with fifteen minutes to go they gifted Jerusalem two goals to make the score 2-2. With just 2 minutes left on the clock and extra time looming Meg were awarded a corner. This was taken by Miles Lynch, whose performance to that point was not up to his usual high standard, and prolific scorer Ben Garrick popped up at the far post to nod home the winner with his 215th goal in just 231 games.

After the days matches the League will have seven sides in the last sixteen which could be eight if Greenbank beat Grantham League side Helpringham next weekend.

Division TWO

 Woodhall Spa United 3

Red Lion Dunston 6

The game started with both teams being evenly matched with Dunston possibly getting the better of the chances in the first 15 minutes, however Woodhall began taking control of the game. After 24 minutes a quick throw in from their right saw the ball passed across the centre and the Woodhall player fired the ball over Steve Brumpton, who was making a return to goalkeeping duties. It wasn’t long however before Dunston were level when Greg Brown latched onto the ball and lobbed it over the oncoming keeper. Woodhall were the more dominant team though Dunston continued to look dangerous on the break and in the 33rd and 39th minute Dunston found themselves 3-1 up with a hat-trick from Brown who had a superb game. The second of the two, and his third, left two defenders in his wake.  Although the visitors were 3-1 up Woodhall were by no means out of the game as they continued to dominate possession in the first half but the visitors defence stuck resolutely to the task.

Dunston were looking just to consolidate their lead the second half but once again within 15 minutes of the half Dunston had extended their lead to 6-1 with two further goals from Brown to make it five in total. Sandwiched in between was a Shinny Williamson left footer from 20 yards that flew over the Woodhall keeper. Woodhall were still taking the game to Dunston and once again had most of the possession, as in the first half.

With 24 minutes remaining the referee sustained a hamstring injury and could take no further part in the game so after consulting with the referee and Woodhall manager it was agreed that the Dunston manager would take over for the remaining period. It was in this period that Woodhall scored two quick goals, one a great strike from 30 yards and the other a header inside the box. Dunston managed to see out the final ten minutes without any further alarms and the whole team has to be commended on a very hard working performance with a lot of defending against a very good Woodhall team.

 Division FOUR

Broadley FC 6

Coningsby FC 6

Top of the table Coningsby went to second placed Broadley in a match between two sides who had each scored 37 goals each in their previous 4 league games. This game proved to live up to its top of the table clash billing. Coningsby took the early initiative, going 2-0 up within the first 15 minutes. Broadley came back through a poacher’s goal from Stevie Stallard and a well-taken goal for Craig Tysoe following a penetrative run through the defence. A fantastic header from Connor Wiseman and a one on one finish from Will Fry put Broadley 4-2 up, with Coningsby grabbing one more before the break to reduce the score to 4-3 to the home side.

Coningsby started the second half as they did the first but this time with 3 goals in 15 minutes to go 6-4 up. Wiseman grabbed another cracking goal, lobbing the Coningsby keeper from outside the box to set up a tense finale. With both sides going at it Stallard controlled and brought down a Fry corner before buying a clumsy foul from a Coningsby defender resulting in a real pressure penalty in the dying minutes of the game. Up stepped captain Jay Smyth to convert the penalty to bring to an end as exciting a game as you are ever likely to see. Final score 6-6.

Ian Stephenson.