29th October – Results Round-Up

Kelly Read Cup

The first round of the Kelly Read Cup was played today with the notable giant killing result going the way of Heighington FC from Division Two when they won 2-0 away at Division One side Old Boys United in their derby game. Both teams are bottom of their respective Divisions and this win comes at a time when they have failed to win any of their League matches so things will look better for the Heighington boys tonight as they look forward to the draw for the next round.

Current Cup holders Metheringham FC overcame the challenge of Coningsby FC running out 7-3 victors at Metheringham.

The most exciting game of the round on paper must surely have been at Dunholme where Welton FC and Waddington United drew 5-5 after extra time. The home side held their nerve to take the tie 6-5 on penalties.

Cherry Willingham FC would no doubt have fancied their chances when they entertained Welton Sports AFC who play their football one division higher. It was however the higher division side that won the tie after extra time, 3-2 being the final result in favour of Welton Sports AFC.

Anglers FC won 4-2 at home to FVA Jerusalem and Saxilby Athletic won 4-0 away at Bassingham Bugle Horn FC.

Railway Inn AFC may have seen their game against Nettleham FC as a potential banana skin result however they triumphed 2-1 to book their passage through to the quarter finals of the competition.

The final game of the round was due to take place at Newton United but visitors Mareham United were unable to raise a side and the game will be awarded to Newton United in accordance with rule.

The draw for the next round of the competition will be made by the League Management Committee at their next meeting on Monday 6th November 2017.

Premier Division

There was only one game played in the League’s top division today and this was between Hykeham Town TRFC and Rustons United. This was played between the teams sitting in the top two places in the table. No quarters were given in an entertaining game which saw the teams share 6 goals in a 3-3 draw. Hykeham Town TRFC remain top with Rustons United sitting behind them on goal difference, both teams having taken 12 points each throughout the Season. Rustons do however have one game in hand on the leaders.

Division One

This was another division with just one game played in and this saw Wragby FC win 4-2 at home against AFC Lincoln Green to register their first League win of the Season.

Division Two

Lincoln High Street FC recorded an excellent 4-3 away win when they visited North Lindum Hawks and in doing so moved up to third place in the League, their highest ever League placing since joining the League. They replace Plough Sturton in third spot after Plough drew 0-0 out at AFC Harpars.

Division Three

This division now sees new leaders in the form of The Sports Bar after their excellent 5-3 away win today at Birchwood United. Ruston Sports fell from that spot today after losing 1-3 at home to Newtoft Terriers, a result which sees the Terriers move into third place themselves. Queen in the West won 3-1 at home to Broadley FC and occupy a mid-table position whilst the final game saw Lincoln RNA record their first league points of the Season in emphatic style thanks to a 7-1 home win against Railway Inn United.

Division Four

Nosey FC are flying in this Division this Season and today’s 2-1 win at AFC West End was their fifth league win in six starts. New side Morning Star are trying to keep pace with the leaders and their 4-0 away win at The Blue Lion maintained their cause. Saxilby Sports FC moved up into third place after their 2-1 win at HBW United and FVA Jerusalem Reserves moved up to fourth place courtesy of a 3-2 win away at The Shed FC. Shakespeare Imps defeated Metheringham Reserves 4-2 whilst the final game between Green Dragon and Branston Homeguard saw the points shared in a game that finished 2-2.

Ian Stephenson