28th October – Results and scorers round-up

Jock Mitchell Memorial Trophy – Round One

It was Cup action today with the Jock Mitchell Memorial Trophy first round matches bringing the competition into line by providing the 16 teams required to compete in the second round of the competition next month. This meant that 7 games needed to be played to join the 9 teams that had received byes through to the next round either by ballot or by their opponents folding after the initial draw was made.

The game providing the highest amount of goals was at Skellingthorpe Road where the home side, Lincoln RNA, hit 4 courtesy of a brace from Wiggins plus goals from Russell and Murphy, against HBW United who netted 3 in reply. Their goals from Barber (2) and Good saw them fall just short in an entertaining contest.

There were also 7 goals in the game at Metheringham Resrves where the visitors, Ruston Sports FC, celebrated a Baker hat-trick, and goals from Mann (2) and Martin, in a 6-1 away win.

Crown and Arrows hit 5 goals in their game away at M.H. Blue Lion thanks to a hat-trick from Hewson. plus solo efforts from Baxter and Taylor, with Wilkinson netting a consolation goal for the Lions.

The other Lions in the Competition, Ruskington Lions, also hit 5 goals of their own without reply when they entertained Nosey FC. A couple of goals each for Jackson and Maddison pretty much sealed the visitors’ fate with a further goal from Cooper completing the scoring there.

Green Dragon scored 4 whilst conceding 2 at The Shed FC. Dowsett notched 2 for The Shed, as did French for the visitors, but additional goals from Stephenson and the ever trusty O.G saw the Dragon safely through to the next round.

The Sports Bar and Morning Star was, by all accounts, a lively affair at Heighington where a goal late on by Ranyard for Sports Bar was not enough to see his side over the line as goals from Walukiewicz, a free kick from Drury, and a stunning strike from Lavelle, proving to be enough to guide the Star home.

Gorman, Clamp, and Jewitt were each on target for AFC West End when they entertained Shakespeare Imps, who had Kiszka on target, in a 3-1 win for the West End boys.

Premier Division

A penalty from Slater and goals from Driver and Dickinson, propelled Hykeham Town TRFC to the top of the table after their 3-1 win at home to Anglers FC. Coo’s reply for Anglers proved little more than a consolation for the defending Champions.

Two goals from Turner, and efforts from Potter, Davis, Firth, and Schofield, enabled New Swan to record their first League win of the Season when they faced bottom of the table and winless Metheringham FC at the Birchwood.

Division One

Leaders Trent Valley extended their lead at the top of the table when they visited Lincoln High Street and returned home with an impressive 5-1 victory. Two goals from Munro and further goals from Keracher, Juoska, and an own goal, did the trick with High Street managing just a consolation from Acar.

Ardron netted 4 goals for Fox & Hounds as they demolished Newton United 6-2 at Birchwood Leisure Centre. Further goals by Shields and Humberstone completed the scoring for the renamed team this Season.

The remaining 2 games in this Division finished all square with the pick of them being a 6 goal thriller at Cherry Willingham where Wishing Well Cherry and FVA Jerusalem finished at 3-3. Pinington, Holmes, and D’Sario were the marksmen for the Well, with Stanney (2) and Forbes on target for the Skellingthorpe based side.

Scott Lowman scored for Wragby as they notched their first League point of the Season at the sixth attempt in their 1-1 draw at home to Bassingham Bugle Horn. Wragby also scored the goal at the other end when they ntted for Bassingham. The result leaves both teams looking for their first League win of this campaign.

The final scheduled game between North Lindum Hawks and St Helens FC was postponed as North Lindum Hawks were unable to raise a side. The points for the game have been awarded to St Helens in accordance with rule.

Division Two

Leaders Waddington United lost their 100% League record when they went down 1-3 at home to Saxilby Athletic. Waywell scored 2 goals for the visitors and Poole also scored twice, once for Saxilby and an own goal for Waddington! This was Saxilby’s first points of the Season in what, on paper, looked the surprise result of the day in this Division.

Hobson scored a hat-trick for Old Boys United when they visited Witham St Hughs, and another goal by Moss, secured a 4-2 win. Witham reduced the arrears thanks to goals from Rowe and Clay.

Coningsby hit Dunston for six in a 6-1 win at the Allan Barker ground. Stapleton (2), Sewell, Wyre, Rylett, and Ribeiro all found the target to spoil Dunston’s tighter defence record of late. Masters’ 77th minute goal for Dunston was their only showing on the day.

Nettleham had to be content with a share of the spoils following a 1-1 draw at Mulsanne Park. Skayman, for Nettleham, and Fletcher, for Hykeham Social, were the men on target in this game.

Division Three

There was just one game played in this division today with Queen Athletic recording a 4-1 success when they visited Horncastle Town. Moulds, Waby, Curtis, and Parkinson were the scorers with Fixter getting the consolation goal for Town. This result sees Queen keeping well in touch with the leaders albeit it is still very early days.

Division Four

Bottle & Glass returned to the top of the table following their 5-1 home win against FVA Jerusalem Reserves. Gray scored 2, as did Mr Own goal, as well as one notched by Houltby. They now lead the table on goal difference from Crown & Arrows and have a game in hand for good measure.

The other game in this division saw Swanpool FC defeat The Ferryboat 4-2. Swanpool’s goals came from a brace from Maplethorpe plus a goal each from Humberstone and Bentley. Burell and an own goal accounted for the reply from the Ferryboat.

Ian Stephenson