25th September – Match reports

Premier Division

Ivy Tavern 6

New Swan FC

The defending champions’ League season finally got underway after the disappointment of their opening League game being called off at 10.30am when their opponents were unable to raise a side on that day. New Swan were the visitors, a young team who had scored 24 goals in their previous two outings.

New Swan started brightly but it wasn’t long before Ivy got into gear and took full control of the game. Jordan Taylor opened the scoring with a looping overhead kick from 12 yards which nestled in the roof of the net. This settled the Ivy down and they began to dominate the midfield, being rarely troubled in defence. It wasn’t long before goal number two arrived, a ball inside was collected by Sean Cann who beat 3 men before coolly slotting past the helpless keeper. Just before the half time whistle the game was effectively over with debutant Jack Wilkinson getting his first goal in Ivy colours, a neat lobbed finish after good build up play down the right hand side involving Jordan Curtis and Cann.

The next would be vital and it didn’t take long to arrive after the restart. Again good build up play in the midfield resulted in Wilkinson arrowing a pinpoint long ball into the path of Sean Cann who poked the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper for his second of the game.

The Ivy then seemed to take their foot off the gas as they were happy to dictate the game. Hulse was replaced by Barker, Kevin Smith replaced Dye at left back after he had picked up a knock, and Hatton was introduced for Ayres. The scoring wasn’t finished there though as Cann completed his hat-trick, after a typical mazy run and tidy finish from a tight angle and then the icing on the cake came when a through ball by Kev Smith found Cann clean through on goal and he made no mistake at the second attempt.

Ivy keeper Chester was hardly troubled, Skipper Matty Chenko and Steve Swinburn superbly marshalled the back four all morning, supported by ‘Mr Reliable’ Jordan Curtis and the excellent performance of Callum Dye who put in a commanding display at left back. James Hulse never gave his opponents a second on the ball, and Joe Ayres and Wilkinson were always a threat out wide. Jordan Taylor was his usual energetic self and a perfect foil for Cann as they reinvigorate last season’s prolific partnership.
There were some excellent performances all over the park which was a real positive for the management team as the season finally got underway.

Lincoln Moorlands 6

Welton Sports AFC 3

Manager Keiran Fox was very happy after his team got all three points against Welton Sports AFC on Sunday. The home side dominated the first half passing the ball around neatly and caused havoc in the Welton area. New signing Jake Stokes put in a top display on his debut and Moorlands found themselves 3-0 up at half time.

The second half was a very exciting match as Welton finally got going and found the net to put the pressure on. After an error at the back Welton then scored another goal and were very much on top as Moorlands found themselves locked in a battle that prevented them from sustaining the type of football that had seen them take a 3 goal lead. Then it finally happened, Welton made it 3-3 when a low shot found the net after the outstanding Liam Tonks in the Moorlands goal, could only Palm into his own net. Manager Fox and Assistant Matt Burkes then made changes and a few words were sent over to the players who then got back to business scoring another 3 goals to  finish the game well. Moorlands have realised that the step up from Division One to the League’s Premier Division is going to be hard and they cannot rest for a second without getting punished. Their goals on the day came from George Asplin, who scored a hat trick, Adi Dales, Ryan Beasley and a rocket from Jamie Corby which was the pick of the bunch.

Metheringham 5

Rustons United 2

Playing their first home league game of the season Metheringham hosted Rustons United who had shared the points with Lincoln Moorlands the previous week. Team selection was disrupted for the home side at the eleventh hour with back injuries suffered by three senior players. This saw a late call up for long serving defender Guy Goodwin who slotted in at the centre of the defence for only his fourth game in the last year.

Early play was end to end with Meg perhaps just edging things. Then against the run of play Rustons’ went ahead on nine minutes when they attacked down the right and from a ball squared across the box it was met by a Rustons player who slotted home unchallenged.  Meg came back with an equaliser on 15 minutes. It came from a free kick on the edge of the box after Jac Wright was brought down when advancing on the Rustons’ goal. Miles Lynch’s free kick took a deflection off Jayden Driver to nestle inside the far post having wrong footed the keeper. Three minutes later Ben Garrick saw his first goal of the season ruled out for offside but it took Meg just two minutes later who then took the lead. Jayden Driver advanced down the left side  before putting an early cross in which was met on the half volley by Jac Wright who rifled it over the keeper from 20 yards. There were no further goals in the first period although Meg should have put the game to bed had they converted three golden chances.

They did however increase their lead a minute after the break when Ben Garrick brought the ball down exquisitely and despite seeing his first effort charged down he was able to lay it off to Jayden Driver who thumped it home.  Rustons then came back into the game, putting the home defence under some pressure. On the hour mark another attack from Rustons down the right saw the incoming cross fumbled by keeper Wayne Greaves for a simple tap in for 3-2. This should have seen Rustons in the ascendancy but instead Meg added a fourth just two minutes later. It came from a long throw into the box by Kyle Thompson which was met with a header from Jac Wright across the keeper into the far corner of the net.  Then on 70 minutes another Kyle Thompson long throw saw Jac Wright glance the ball on for Ben Garrick to head home from close range to complete the scoring. Picking a man of the match for Metheringham was somewhat difficult with every player having put in good shifts but in the end it went to 17 year old full back Joe Willey, who gets better and better with every match.

 Division One

Old Boys United 0

Horncastle Town 2

Old Boys entertained Horncastle Town for their first home game of the season and Old Boys will be quick to forget this one!  They piled on the early pressure but couldn’t find a way past the Horncastle keeper. Josh Gannon came the closest which saw his header hit the bar from a Bradley Hueso corner. Horncastle made it 1-0 just before half time with a worldly strike beating Neil Griffiths.

Old Boys were paying the price for missed chances which included Adam Gardiner hitting the post with a free kick. Shaun Hudson also hit the bar but Horncastle made their chances count as they took advantage of an Old Boys defensive error to make it 2-0 to the visitors. The game could have easily ended 3-0 but Luke Heal made a goal line clearance to keep it at 2.

Welton FC 5

AFC Plough 1

After good wins in their opening games of the season both teams went into this game full of confidence. It was thehe away team that started the brightest, retaining some good possession and making the home team work to stay involved in play. However, with no efforts on either goal for the first 15 minutes, it was Welton who eventually fired a meaningful attack starting from good positive play from Robin Coulson at centre back which eventually found its way to Matthew Atkinson who finished calmly to give the home team the lead. The rest of the half continued to be a hard fought battle with no additional goals materialising.

AFC Plough started the second half on the front foot creating a number of chances and again keeping Welton penned back in their own half. A good counter attacking move saw Welton break out and the ball eventually fell to Matthew Atkinson who again scored – his 6th goal in 2 games so far.

Shortly after, a Jason Spencer free kick beat the keeper from a long distance and this was quickly followed up by Daryl Spencer finishing calmly after another counter attacking move led by Nico Williams.

Plough managed to get a goal back after a great solo effort and left footed strike but Player / Manager Paul Green responded quickly with a tidy finish after another good Welton move.

Welton held out to keep the score at a comfortable 5-1.

 Division Two


Plough Sturton 3

Sleaford Seahawks 2

Ahead of three weeks of cup fixtures the Plough looked to get their first league win of the season. They created a couple of golden opportunities in the first half, the first saw Alex Cawkwell hit the post when one on one with the Sleaford keeper. The second again saw Cawkwell one on one with the keeper, this time opting to pass the ball to Joel Crosby who tucked the ball away only for it to be eventually ruled out by the Assistsnt’s flag for offside.

It was the Plough who broke the deadlock as half-time approached when some good link up play ended when Scott Barratt pulled the ball back to the edge of the box for Tom Everington. He cut the ball back onto his right foot to avoid the sliding Seahawks defender before smashing the ball high into the net for the opener.

It looked like the home side would be going into the break with the advantage before a late free-kick was given away just inside the Plough half. The delivery into the box was half cleared before the Seahawks player struck an unstoppable volley for the equaliser.

There were a few stern words at half time from manager Nick Humphreys but they did not have the desired effect when the visitors scored almost straight after half time.

The Plough grabbed the equaliser when Tom Higginbottom delivered a great ball into the box from a deep free kick. Sturton substitute, Stephen Pell, did well to flick his header just inside the post. Pell soon had the ball in the net again, heading home after Tom Mangham’s effort had rebounded off the bar, again though the Plough had a goal ruled out for offside.

The home side did finally grab the advantage and again it was a Higginbottom delivery, this time Everington was on the end and he managed to get enough on the ball to divert it past the keeper, just inside the post.

It still wasn’t over and Spencer Bembridge had to pull off a quality save to ensure the Plough took the three points.

Division Three

Dynamo Varsity 5

Ingleby Arms FC (Marton) 2

Ingleby took the lead in this game courtesy of an outrageous own goal from Jamie Green, who headed home perfectly into the bottom corner while trying to head the ball back to the keeper. Varsity responded well and were level 5 minutes later when Josh Hayes’s first effort was saved, with the big man tapping home the rebound after reacting fastest. Varsity then took the lead before half time when Sam Joyce found strike partner Vincent Van Doninck who powered home a header.

Varsity began the second half brightly and the big Belgian Van Doninck powered home another header just before the hour to give Varsity some breathing room. Sam Joyce then added a goal from a Kristian Berzins cross before the full back Berzin’s cross come shot added a fifth for the home side. Ingelby were to get a consolation goal late on powering home the last kick of the game with a well worked goal much to the delight of their striker.

Varsity Man of the Match was Vincent Van Doninck.

Fox & Hounds FC 6

HBW United 2

After a poor opening game of the season Fox & Hounds were keen to get three3 points on the board. After a scrappy and cagey start by both teams Fox and Hounds FC found themselves 1-0 after poor marking at an HBW corner. It took Fox & Hounds 20 minutes to wake up and get in the game and they were soon rewarded when Chris Moulds burst past 3 or 4 players before slotting past a hapless HBW keeper.

After the break Fox and Hounds managed to keep up the pressure and momentum they picked up in the first half and Chris Moulds came up with another wonder shot to make it 2-1 to Fox and Hounds. The visitors, to their credit, soon came back and drew level with a well worked goal. Fox kept pressing and a ball over the top saw Stuart Spring race through on goal only to be bundled down in the box. He tucked away the resulting penalty to put Fox back in front. James Parkinson gave Fox a 2 goal cushion with a well placed strike into the bottom corner leaving the HBW keeper flapping at thin air. Fox kept the pressure on, with wave after wave of attack, John Marklew finding himself next on the score sheet to make the score 5-2. Chris Moulds produced another top class strike, leaving the HBW keeper rooted as he watched the ball hit the top corner, to seal his hat trick and a thoroughly deserved 6-2 for Fox and Hounds FC.

During the game an HBW player sustained an accidental injury after a collision with the Fox & Hounds goal keeper. This resulted in the HBW player becoming unconscious which potentially looked to be very serious. East Midlands Ambulance and the Air Ambulance attended and it is reported that the player has been discharged from hospital with injuries that are described as a neck strain and concussion. Fox & Hounds wish the player a speedy recovery and would like to thank the emergency services for their speedy attendance, sentiments that are echoed to all parties by myself on behalf of the League.

Shakespeare Athletic 2

Newtoft Terriers 2

Shakespeare hosted Newtoft and were looking for a strong start after last weeks defeat at Wragby. This wasn’t to be the case as Newtoft took the lead within 3 minutes after confusion in the Shakespeare defence. It took Shakespeare a while to get going and they couldn’t break Newtoft down as the score remained the same at the interval.

Shakespeare started the second half the stronger of the two sides, playing some neat football in attacking positions. They were to get their deserved equaliser just after the hour. The Newtoft centre half was adjudged to have handled in the box and Marshall stepped up to calmly slot the ball into the corner. Within minutes Shakespeare had turned the game around. Matthews slid the ball through to Crampton who held off the defender before back heeling to Marshall who sublimely curled home from the edge of the box. The final goal of the game was scored by Newtoft, as their left winger ran through and slotted home to level the game.

 Division Four

Railway Inn United 6

FVA Jerusalem 2

The game started off with Jerusalem much the better of the two teams and creating much the better of the chances, one which they managed to take to go into the lead. The visitors then had the chance to extend their lead following the awarding of a penalty which was expertly saved by Railway keeper Mikey Barrand. Railway responded a few minutes later  after a brilliant James Stephenson corner was neatly headed in at the back post by Rich Barker. Jerusalem re-took the lead again before half time which left the home side devasted at the interval.

Railway came out for the second half replenished and ready to go. On the hour mark an inspired change by Manager Steve Ashton who introduced “the train” Tom Float. 5 minutes later Float made a great interception and the rebound fell perfectly to him for a perfectly rifled home strike from all of 25 yards to level the game. After this Railway took control.

Gavin Lilley broke through and knocked the ball past the keeper to blaze into the net and  5 minutes later Lilley again broke down the wing before cutting a ball back to Zach on the edge of the area for him to curl the ball into the far corner 4-2.  After this the opportunities continued to come with “the train” playing in Gavin Lilley through only for him to miss a one on one but he managed to collect the rebound to score with a left foot lob.  Finally with only a few minutes to play Lilley sealed his hat trick with a penalty after Rich Barker had been brought down in the area. All in all this was a decent morning for the Railway as they hope to progress in the County Cup next week as they hope that plenty more goals follow for them in that competition.

Coningsby FC 6

Nosey FC 1

The teams took to the field in sunny but windy conditions. For the first time this season Coningsby started well putting Nosey under pressure, and they soon scored, Tom Sewell getting on the end of some good play. Sewell soon made it 2-0 with a fine back post header from a perfectly whipped in cross courtesy of Ash Webb. This seemed to kick Nosey into gear and the rest of the half was well battled between the two teams in the middle of the park. The first half ended on a down point with a Nosey FC player receiving a red card for dissent towards the referee.

From the start of the second half Coningsby looked to use the man advantage and they confidently passed the ball around, trying to pull a resilient Nosey team around the pitch to create space. That space duly appeared in the middle with Ash Webb picking the ball up and shooting from 25 yards to make it 3-0. Andy Chapman then scored a quick double to make it 5-0. Full credit to Nosey FC though for continuing to play football, their reward being a well worked move, beating the Coningsby FC offside trap and beating the keeper one on one to make the score 5-1. Searching to dominate the game again Chris Chew picked the ball up at the back, strode forward and slotted the ball into Will Allen, who made no mistake from 8 yards.

Ian Stephenson