24th September – Match Reports

County Cup Round One

Newton United 1-4  Metheringham FC

Metheringham visited fellow Lincoln League side Newton Unitedtd in their County Cup Round one tie. They had three regular players missing but still looked to have enough of a match winning side. Keeper Wayne Greaves was making his 100th appearance and Mark Jordan his 150th.  Starting like a train Meg were one up inside a minute when a corner on the right was knocked back goal-wards from the far post and Joe Smith met it on the volley to put the visitors ahead.. Meg were then guilty of missing five or six golden chances as they dominated play but became complacent. This saw Newton themselves grow into the game and on 29 minutes they levelled with a header from a right wing corner. A minute later they could have been ahead but a sweeping move saw the shot from a left wing cross put agonisingly wide. This saw Meg wake up and in a crazy five minutes it was a bit like pinball in the Newton goalmouth but the home side some-how managed to keep the ball out of their net. Before the break Newton’s outstanding keeper, returning from a long term injury received the last time the two sides met, made a double save. Firstly from Jayden Driver and then from Joe Smith.

Six minutes after the break Meg saw Ben Garrick strike the foot of the post when put through by Mark Jordan. But just three minutes later fortune came Meg’s way when a ball in from the right saw it rebound off a home defender for Miles Lynch to fire home from close range. This goal saw Newton push forward for a second equaliser but this was to be their undoing as they were stretched at the back on 70 minutes with Joe Smith being released on the right to find Jayden Driver and when his effort was half blocked by a defender Lynch was again on hand to net for 3-1.  Despite going two down Newton continued to look to get back into the game but the nail was put in their coffin on 83 minutes when a through ball from Aaron Harrison found Joe Smith who rolled it under the keeper for his 100thgoal for the team in just 108 games.

Old Boys United 3-0  Ruston Sports FC

Rustons started the strongest out of the two teams putting Old Boys under early pressure and it didn’t take long for them to put the ball in the back of the net, only to see it ruled out for handball in the build up. As Rustons continued to take the game to their hosts the home team saw their centre back  heading just wide of the post from a corner. It took Old Boys 35 minutes to register a shot on target with Josh Gannon hitting the bar. Old Boys were awarded a penalty from which Adam Gardiner stepped up to put his team 1-0 up just before halftime.

In the second half Old Boys were determined not to start to slow the pace of the game and showed that when Tony Sewell broke down the wing a put the ball on a plate for Jack Thompson only for him send his shot over the bar. Chris Edwards made it 2-0 with a well executed finish from outside the box with the game still going back and forth before Luke Heal made it 3-0 to the home side.

Division Two

Heighington FC 2-5  Coningsby FC

Defensive frailties again proved to be Heighington’s undoing as they fell to another disappointing league defeat. Coningsby’s Daniel Whitworth opened the scoring with an over hit cross which sailed into the far corner of a helpless Martin Ziller’s goal very early in the game.  The hosts hit back midway through the first half, Greg Brown racing onto a flicked header from Josh Cheetham to continue his good scoring run when he levelled the scores. Although the home side were arguably playing the better football at this stage of the game it was the visitors who were looking the more dangerous. Heighington defender Stevie Smith blocked a shot on the line from Brandon Rylett who had rounded the keeper and needed only to slot it home.

Soon after it was 1-2, Rylett atoning for his earlier clanger as he charged down a clearance from the home keeper before rolling the ball into the empty net.

Into the second half and Coningsby scored the all-important 4th goal, Rylett getting his second of the game. Two further goals from the visitors, an accurate lofted finish from 20 yards and a powerful header from Captain Ben Brown meant that experienced midfielder Danny Dixon’s first goal of the season for Heighington was to be only a consolation.

Without a game next week, Heighington now have 2 weeks to stew over this result before the visit of Division Three Birchwood United in the Fred Quibell Cup, where gaffer Stuart Cook will be looking for a much improved performance.

Division Four

The Blue Lion 2-3  Saxilby Sports FC

A heavy pitch with tall grass was always going to be a struggle for both sides and it was the visitors who had the better of the early fexchanges, but somewhat against the run of play it was the Lions who took the lead with a hard struck effort fired in by Adam wilkinson after a great run from Andy Robson. The blues then came to life but also eventually conceded against the run of play with a good strike from Saxilby flying high into the net to leave the scores level at the break.

After 15 minutes of the second half the blues had a free kick which was played in by Richard Wood by way of a lovely ball which was well met by Rob Carter on the volley to record his first goal in a Blue Lion shirt.

Later in the game the equaliser came from an excellent header from a great Saxilby cross making it game on for both sides. Both teams went extremely close in the push for a winner in what was a brilliant game of football but in a classic Sunday fashion a scrappy shot rolled into the bottom corner to give the visitors the lead with just five minutes remaining. The Lions pushed for an equaliser but it was not to be on the day. All credit to Saxilby who were brilliant on the day. The Lion’s heads are still held high as they feel no shame in losing a game to opponents who played very well.

Ian Stephenson