23rd December Results & Scorers Round-Up

Premier Division

Rustons United and AFC Golden Eagle shared 6 goals in a 3-3 draw at Ruston Marconi Sports ground today. Skepper and Dye sent the home team in at the break leading 2-1 but it proved to be a lead that they couldn’t hold on to in the second half when Higginson, Davies, and Brader registered for the visitors. An own goal for Rustons ensured that both teams went up a place in the League table as Rustons moved up to third place whilst Eagle now sit in fifth.

Division One

St Helens lost the chance to catch up with the top two teams when a Mead goal for North Lindum Hawks proved to be the only goal of the game at Skellingthorpe Road.

Fox & Hounds’ recent impressive run continued today when goals from Shields, Ranyard and Dady netted maximum points from their visit to Newton United, 3-1 being the final score in this game.

Two goals from Atkinson plus goals from Linder and Ward moved Welton FC up to fifth place with a 4-2 win away at Bassingham Bugle Horn. Walker and Lewis were on the score sheet for the home side.

Division Two

Plough Sturton now top the League after they raced into a 3-0 half time lead thanks to goals from Benson, Long, and a Patching penalty when they visited Saxilby Athletic. A second half goal from Beaumont for the home side proved to be no more than a consolation and could not prevent Plough from leap frogging previous leaders AFC Rustons who were themselves without a game today.

A brace from Heald and an own goal earned Hykeham Social FC all 3 points from their visit to Coningsby who themselves notched goals from Stapleton and Sewell. The Coningsby goalkeeper was reported to be in fine form in this game but despite his heroic actions it was the visitors who claimed the points.

Two goals from Hobson and goals from Gardiner and Knibbs put Old Boys United firmly in control when they visited Dunston FC, especially after they raced into a 3-0 first half lead before Clarke pulled a goal back for the hosts. The game finished 4-1 to Old Boys and halted their recent dip in results.

Division Three

With leaders Morning Star and second placed The Sports Bar without games today third placed Ruskington Lions looked to consolidate on their excellent first Season in the League. They did so in style when a hat-trick from Jackson and goals from Maddison and Greenwood gave them a 5-0 win away at Nosey FC.

Two mid-table teams went head to head when Shakespeare Imps hosted Queen Athletic. A hat-trick from Barnes and a goal from Tomas ensured it was the Imps who claimed the points with a 4-1 win.

Division Four

There was a clash of the titans at the top of the Division today with leaders Bottle and Glass playing host to second placed Crown & Arrows. The home side took the lead in the first half before two goals from Hunt put the visitors in front. A brace from Waplington and a goal from Gregory put the Crown in charge despite goals from Taylor, Stocks, and Gray for the home side ensuring that they stayed in the contest. Crown’s 5-3 win put them back at the top of the tree for Christmas by changing places with the leaders at the beginning of the day.

The two teams behind the top two came head to head down at Fen Lane when Railway Inn United entertained Swanpool. Lilley, Paul, and Green all netted for the Railway team resulting in a 3-1 win. For good measure they even scored the other goal as an own goal for their opponents. Having maintained a 100% league record from their opening 6 games they now sit in third place but with their games in hand they look well placed to challenge for the title in the second half of the Season.

Stephenson scored a hat-trick for Green Dragon as they defeated M.H.Blue Lion 3-1 at Sudbrooke Drive. Wood scored the goal for the Lion.

Ian Stephenson