22nd October – Match Reports

Jock Mitchell Memorial Trophy – Round One

Ruston Sports FC 6-0   Railway Inn United

Both teams arrived at Newark Road with depleted squads with both sides missing key individuals. It was the home side that dominated from the off and an early shift from a 4-3-3 formation to a 4-4-2 saw the home side take the lead with Captain Simon Cotton, who had been pushed further forward, netting from close range to give Ruston’s the lead.

Ruston’s were playing with the wind behind them and their tails were up. Simon Cotton added a second a few minutes later finishing calmly when found in the box. The chances kept coming and Timmie Mann was soon on the score sheet powering home from a Sam Wade cross at the near post.

A fourth goal came for the hosts as the half neared its close when Railway didn’t deal with a corner and Pete Dickinson got his name on the score sheet. Centre half Paul Norris then took his tally to 6 goals in 8 games to add a fifth for Rustons as the half time whistle went on a dominant first half display.

As is usually the case in these games the second half was a bit of a non event although Railway did improve and should have netted around the hour mark when a chance whistled wide of the post. Ruston’s managed to find one final goal when a David Hansell shot found Timmie Mann who poked home to double his tally for the game.

Man of the Match for Rustons was Sam Wade who had an excellent game on the left wing.

The Blue Lion 1- 2 The Shed FC

On a chilly and windy morning the Blue Lion played a slightly weaker team in order to give some of the outside players a chance in the team and this may have lead to the game starting with the visitors very much in control.

It was indeed the visitors who broke the deadlock with a Blue Lion defensive communication error contributing. The Shed eventually doubled their lead with a well timed through ball and tidy finish to give themselves a strong position in the game.

The home side did however find their way back into the game when Euan Titchmarsh put the ball across for Harry Masazr to head home. From this lifeline the game was then a game of constant attack from the Lions and strong defending from the Shed but there was to be no way back for the home side as the visitors held their ground well and in the end left with the win which now sees them play host to fellow Division Shakespeare Imps in the next round of the competition on 26th November.

It is all focus now on the league for the Lions.

Division One

Old Boys United 3-5   AFC Golden Eagle

Old Boys started strongly with Jack Thompson hitting the bar early on. Tony Sewell then fired the home side ahead with a header from a Jack Hobson corner. The same player then made it 2-0 with another header, this time Dave Skelding being the provider. Eagle pulled a goal back when keeper Neil Griffiths was beaten from the penalty spot. As Eagle carried on applying pressure their hard work paid off when they made it 2-2 just before the break.

After throwing away a two goal lead things went from bad to worse in the second half for the hosts with Eagle undoing them on three more occasions giving the visitors a comfortable 5-2 lead. The highlight of the second half for Old Boys was Matt Jarvis scoring a screamer to end the game 3-5 to the visitors

Division Two

Plough Sturton 4-5  Waddington United

Waddington United inflicted a first League defeat of the Season on rivals Plough Sturton in a nine goal thriller at Sturton. Rikki Peterson’s pace saw him speed past the Plough defence on two occasions to put Waddington two up. Scott Barrett halved the arrears before referee Mr Brophy reduced Waddington to ten men following a foul which prevented a goal scoring opportunity. With their opponents down to ten men, Plough battled hard to equalise and it came via a Stephen Pell effort. Peterson was on fire as he again used his speed to re-establish Waddington’s two goal advantage before half time with his third and fourth of the match, his seventh goal in the last two games.

After the break Plough came back strongly and made it 4-3 through James Patching but Waddington are made of sterner stuff these days and a rare goal from Lee Wright put Waddington back in the driving seat. Despite their pressure Plough could only find the net once more, again through Patching, as the game ended with a hard fought 5-4 victory to Waddington.

Ian Stephenson