21st October Round-up & Fred Quibell Junior Cup Rnd 2 draw

Fred Quibell Junior Cup – Round One

Today saw 14 games played in the Fred Quibell Junior Cup as Round One got under way. The remaining two scheduled games had to be awarded as byes as two of the original entrants withdrew from the League prior to the start of the Season.

It sounds to have been an exciting game at Sturton By Stow where the home team, Plough Sturton, and visitors, AFC Rustons, drew 4-4 after extra time. Ruston’s goals were scored by Reid (2), Dougan and Goodchild. Plough held their nerve to triumph in the dreaded spot kicks by converting 4 of their allocated kicks whilst AFC Rustons only managed to convert 2.

Wapplington scored  2 goals, and Dobson added a third for Crown & Arrows as their impressive start to the Season continued when they defeated Nosey FC 3-2 after extra time at King George V.

FVA Jerusalem Reserves put up a splendid effort against Waddington United and threatened to embarrass their opponents from two divisions above them in the League pyramid, but goals from Cox, his first for his Club, and a last minute free kick from McGovern saw Waddington take the tie into extra time right at the death. They then went one better when the referee pointed to the penalty spot in extra time which enabled Pell to convert to see his side safely into the next round draw despite having a real scare on the day.

Cherry Willlingham put Ruston Sports FC out of the competition with a 4-1 win after extra time. Moyses grabbed the Rustons’ goal during the normal time period.

Broadley FC and M.H.Blue Lion contested a fairly even encounter where two goals from Bentley for Broadley and replies from Wood and Cliffe for the Lion kept the tie simmering. Substitute Stallard settled the tie for Broadley in what any manager would describe as an inspired substitution.

Coningsby FC entertained Witham St Hughs for the second time in 7 days after the 2 sides met last weekend in a League game. The score line was certainly much closer this time around when goals from  Stapleton, Sewell, and Morgan saw the home side over the line. Sweet netted the goal for Witham.

There were goals aplenty at Branston when The Ferryboat entertained Old Boys United. I do not know who netted for the home side but a Hobson hat-trick plus goals from Gardiner, Thompson, and Hudson saw the visitors record an extravagant looking 6-4 win.

Lincoln RNA will be pleased with their showing at home to Horncastle Town today. Two goals from Murphy and solo efforts from Russell and Wiggins did the trick against a Horncastle team who could only manage one goal from Daubney. 4-1 being the final score.

Saxilby Athletic also scored 4 in a 4-0 win away at Queen Athletic.

When the draw was made I must confess that the tie between Ruskington Lions and Nettleham looked an interesting one in my book. Call it a hunch but by all accounts it was a a close competitive game which could have gone either way. Cooper scored a couple for Ruskington and Nettleham replied with goals from Park and Kerrigan. Their equaliser came in the last minute of normal time but before the dust could settle McGregor netted for the Lions with the very last kick of the game to give his side a 3-2 victory.

A hat-trick from Drury and a goal from Keeble enabled Morning Star to progress comfortably from their visit to Stacey West FC.

A brace from Jack and a rare goal from Lynas saw The Sports Bar end Metheringham Reserves interest in the competition despite Brightly scoring what proved to be a consolation for the Meg boys, 3-1 the final score at Heighington.

Two first half goals from Horry for Swanpool FC saw his side leading their game away at Railway Inn United 2-1 at half-time but a strong second half performance saw the Railway boys turn the contest round to win 3-2 thanks to goals from Green, Smith, and Clark.

HBW United and Hykeham Social FC are the beneficiaries of the 2 byes but I save my final mention to Ady Gray of AFC West End whose solitary goal away at Dunston today netted his side a narrow 1-0 victory. It will have tasted sweeter because it was his 50th goal  for his Club – well done to him.

There was plenty of League action played today too with some potentially significant results.

Premier Division

Lincoln Moorlands/Railway FC started the day in pole position with a 100% League record. They remain top this evening but their League record has been breached following a 0-2 loss at home to Hykeham Town TRFC courtesy of 2 goals from Mehta, the second from the penalty spot.

Rustons United started the day in second place but a Jordan Taylor hat-trick and a Jamie Taylor goal for opponents Anglers FC saw them triumph 4-2 despite second half goals from Dye and Crane for the home side.

AFC Golden Eagle climbed to third place after Brader, Higginson, and Omelia all scored away at New Swan, who’s only goal came from Schofield. 3-1 being the final score in that one.

Welton Sports AFC were pleased with their goals from Furness and Aisthorpe following their visit to Hykeham Memorial FC who managed a solitary reply from Cooper.

Division One

Trent Valley’s fine early Season form continued with a 6-0 home win against Newton United. Martin. Munro, Seiget, Holmes, Bee, and an own goal were their scorers on the day. Trent remain top of the table with an impressive 5 League wins in 6 starts this time round.

Lincoln High Street also hit 6 goals today with an impressive win of their own. A hat-trick from Stone and a brace from Oprea did most of the damage in a 6-2 win away at Wishing Well Cherry FC. Fathulla scored a rare goal to complete the scoring for the home side. This result sees High Street leap frog their opponents of the day as they now sit second in the table with Wishing Well dropping from second to 5th place due to goal difference.

Shields and Ardron scored for Fox & Hounds FC as they won 2-1 away at North Lindum Hawks, and St Helens recorded a narrow 1-0 win at Welton against Welton FC thanks to a goal from Redburn.

The final game in this Division today ended 3-3 when Bassingham Bugle Horn entertained FVA Jerusalem . Wilson, Forbes, and Wren all scored first half goals for the visitors to give them a 3-1 half time lead but goals from Osbourne, Dale, and Swales for the home side saw the points shared in an entertaining game.

The draw for the Second Round of the Fred Quibell Junior Cup has been made and can be viewed under the relevant section of the Cups page of the website.

Ian Stephenson