18th November Results Round-up

Fred Quibell Junior Cup – Round Two

The tie of the round sounds to have been at Sturton where the home side, Plough Sturton, just edged a 9 goal thriller against the team that started the day as the League 2 leaders, Old Boys United. Plough lead 3-2 at the break with first half goals from Long, Patching, and Kildare. In the second half Kildare added his second of the game and their tally was added to by Chin. 2 goals for the visitors from Hobson plus strikes from Gardiner and Moss were not quite enough as the home side took the tie 5-4.

There were 9 goals in the game at Heighington where the visitors, Railway Inn United, crashed in with 6 of them against The Sports Bar. Lilley hit a hat-trick for the Railway and further goals from Smith, Paul, and Zablockyj did the damage despite Ranyard replying with a brace and Jamieson getting a further goal for the home side.

Hykeham Social FC had what can be described as a slow start to their campaign but some impressive results of late continued with a resounding 7-1 win away at Saxilby Athletic. Fletcher netted a hat-trick and Goldacre scored 2 for the Hykeham side. Crosby and Wright also got on the score sheet, as did Poole, who scored what was only a consolation for the home side.

AFC West End lost out at home to Broadley FC 2-3 despite going into the break with a 2-1 lead. Totton and Gorman scored for West End but goals from Stallard, Paulson, and Bromfield ensured that it was the visitors who progressed to the quarter finals of the competition.

Another game ending up 3-2 to the away side came at Cherry Willingham where the visitors, Morning Star FC, raced into a 3-0 lead thanks to Drury, Keeble and Crampton. Replies for Cherry Willingham FC by Jenkinson and McCarthy ensured there was a nervy finish that went right up to the wire.

Crown & Arrows are a new side who have enjoyed an excellent start to the season and their 3-1 win away at Lincoln RNA, courtesy of goals from Waplington, Omeara, and Dobson, kept their interest alive in this competition at the first time of asking. Russell netted for RNA but could not stop his side from going down to a 1-3 reverse.

The final 2 games in the second round matches were each decided by a solitary goal. Barber scored the HBW United goal which may well have shocked a few people as they recorded a fine 1-0 win at Waddington against a Waddington United team who sit 27 places and 2 divisions higher than them in the League pyramid.

The game at Ruskington saw a well contested and fairly even contest between Ruskington Lions and near neighbours Coningsby FC. The game was decided by a single goal from McGregor for the Lions to give them the bragging rights in a game that saw plenty of good football played, to the credit of both teams.

Premier Division

In terms of League placings there was no change to any of the top 3 positions following the games played today. Leaders Hykeham Town TRFC recorded a fine 7-1 win away at New Swan FC. Mehta and Foster scored 2 apiece and further goals from Chapman, Murphy, and an own goal kept the momentum going for the Hykeham side. New Swan had Davis on hand to score their consolation goal.

Lincoln Moorlands/Railway remain in second place after goals from Waplington and Butler meant that they had to settle for a share of the points with Welton Sports AFC after 2 goals from Furness, one from the penalty spot and one from an overhead kick, saw the contest finish 2-2 at Moorlands.

AFC Golden Eagle remain third in the table following an epic game  at Metheringham with 11 goals being scored in the match. As Metheringham started the day without a League point to their credit and a goal difference of minus 32 readers may be forgiven for thinking that it was another heavy defeat for a Meg side who have not enjoyed the best of times of late. As we all know football “is a funny old game” and no more so than at the paddock today where Garrick scored 4 for Metheringham whilst Lynch and an own goal completed their scoring in a remarkable 6-5 victory. 2 goals for Higginson and goals from Melladay, Omelia, and Davies for Golden Eagle could not stop the Metheringham party as they celebrated recording their first win and League points of the Season and for even better measure they moved off the bottom spot as Hykeham Memorial went down 0-3 at home to Anglers FC as a result of 2 goals from Ward and a further goal from Wilkinson. The game was goal less at half time but Anglers’ got the goals in the second half to see them now move up to 4th place in the League table.

Division One

Trent Valley FC  continue to set the pace at the head of this division and their 3-2 win at home to Welton FC was their 7th in 8 League outings. Munro, Juoska, and an own goal got the better of the visitors who replied with a brace from Atkinson.

FVA Jerusalem moved up to second place after goals from Stanney (2), Prendergast, and Frecklington proved too much  for Fox & Hounds FC as FVA ran out 4-2 winners at Skellingthorpe. It is a pity that the Fox goals were not captured on video as Dady’s volley was described as out of this world and their other goal from Leeming was scored from the edge of his own penalty box!

Wishing Well Cherry FC return to third place in the table following their 4-2 away win out at Newton United. The home side took the lead before a Lynch volley levelled things up. Newton took the lead for the second time before a Holmes back heel restored parity for the visitors for a second time. 2 further goals from Pitchford were enough to secure all 3 points for the The Well. Calvert and Cottingham were the men on target for Newton.

Bassingham Bugle Horn FC slipped to the bottom of the table following their 0-4 defeat at home to North Lindum Hawks. Rutt scored a couple and further efforts from Paulson and Lewis compounded the misery for the home side who are still looking for their first win of the Season in the League.

Scott Lowman scored a second half goal which proved to be the only goal of the game for Wragby when they entertained St Helens FC, a result which secured their first League win of the Season and one which lifted them off the foot of the table at the expense of Bassingham Bugle Horn FC.

Division Two

Just one game was played in this Division today due to the Cup competition which involved several teams from Division two. The game played saw Nettleham jump to the top of the table after goals from Kerrigan and Shearwood gave them a 2-0 home victory against Dunston FC

Division Three

Just two games in this Division today saw both visiting sides hit 4 goals each against their hosts. Shakespeare Imps won 4-2 away at Stacey West FC courtesy of goals from Haywood, Hitchens, Newby and an own goal. Gurga and Ross were on target for the home side.

Ruston Sports FC hit 4 goals on the road with Baker and Moyses each netting 2 goals apiece in their game at Queen Athletic.

Division Four

There were big away wins for Bottle and Glass FC and Swanpool FC in this Division today.

Bottle & Glass returned to the top of the table  after their 14-1 win at The Shed FC. Incredibly their goals came from just 4 scorers with Stocks registering a double hat-trick, Tatton adding 4 of his own, Wright also registering a hat-trick and Johnson completing the scoring for the visitors with a goal of his own. Johnstone scored for the Shed FC to spoil the perfect day for the team now leading the Division again as they replaced Crown & Arrows in that position due to their commitment in the Cup today.

Swanpool FC also hit double figures when they visited Green Dragon in a game rearranged due to both sides being knocked out of the cup. Liam Bentley hit 4 and additional goals from Murphy, Stokes, Craig Bentley, and Horry saw the Swans record double figures for the first time in their history in our League. Green Dragon  responded with a brace from Smith.

M.H.Blue Lion recorded their fourth win of their best Season in the League when goals from Cliffe and Hirons saw them edge past Metheringham Reserves 2-1 at King George Field.

Ian Stephenson