17th September – Match Reports

Fred Quibell Junior Cup -Preliminary Round

The Green Dragon 2 – 0 The Blue Lion

This game proved that anything can happen if you take your chances. The Green Dragon started terrifically giving the Lions many problems from the first minute and soon found themselves in the lead with a tidy finish from close range. The half continued to be primarily controlled by the dragons but with few chances occurring.

The second half was a half for change as the Lions came out dominant straight from the whistle, with chance after chance being created but ultimately with no chances being converted. The first ten minutes saw the visitors pin their hosts in their own half. The game continued and the Green Dragon were clinging on to their lead much to the great goalkeeping of their keeper James Brewin.

After having complete control of the game it was the dragons who again got a goal from a brilliant counter attack topped off with another tidy finish. The Lions pressed and pressed for the rest of the game but the dragons defended strongly and held out for the remainder of the game.

Quality over quantity definitely played its part in this match.

Premier Division

Hykeham Town TRFC 1-0 Metheringham FC

Metheringham visited Hykeham Town TRFC, one of two other sides that had opened the season with victories in the league last week. Hykeham had recorded an impressive 3-0 win over New Swan whilst Metheringham had romped to a convincing win over promoted side Saxilby Athletic. Both sides were looking to maintain this winning start to the season but in fairness Hykeham opened this game on the front foot as Meg struggled to get their game going. The home side took the lead on 15 minutes when a ball in from the right was half cleared on two occasions by Meg but was then tucked into the bottom corner out of reach of Meg keeper Wayne Greaves. Just two minutes later Hykeham may well have been awarded a penalty for handball but the referee waved Hykeham’s appeals away.

Meg gradually came into the game and Connor Wilson went one on one with the home keeper on 20 minutes but was thwarted, then minutes later Hykeham hit the foot of the Meg post. In response Meg saw a Matt Robinson effort cleared off the Hykeham line and then Jayden Driver saw his effort tipped over the bar by the keeper. Chances continued to be created but no further goals came in the first half.

In the second half Meg looked more positive and their chances were enhanced just fifteen minutes in when Hykeham saw their third player in three games shown a red card. Meg piled on the pressure but Hykeham were equal to everything thrown at them with Steve Meta instrumental throughout. Meg thought they had levelled late on by Matt Robinsons’ effort was ruled out for offside. In the end a workmanlike performance by Hykeham saw them maintain their winning start to the season in what was an enthralling match.

Division Two

Heighington FC 1-6 Dunston FC

Dunston FC got their league campaign off to a winning start with something of a demolition job against hosts Heighington FC. The visitors were quick out of the blocks and took the lead early in the game in controversial fashion, the referee awarding a corner which the home side were convinced should have been a goal kick. Dunston scored from the resulting corner to make it 1-0. However unhappy about the goal the hosts were, they could have no complaints about the next 3 goals. Some suicidal passing in their own half gifted possession to Dunston’s pacey forward line who took advantage clinically leaving the score line 0-4 at the break. The score was a bitter pill to swallow for Heighington as they had carved out a few decent chances of their own in the half, the best falling to Josh Cheetham who agonisingly got the ball trapped under his feet with the open goal gaping.

The second half was a more even affair, possibly a combination of Heighington upping their game following a stern half time ‘chat’ and Dunston easing off. A double change for Heighington soon reaped the rewards, substitute Stevie Smith drilling the ball across goal for Chris Egan to tap in. This, however, proved to be only a consolation goal. As the hosts poured numbers forward in an effort to reduce the arrears Dunston scored twice more on the counter to record a resounding victory.

Division Three

Birchwood United 1-2 Ruston Sports FC

Unfortunately the game began with a fairly bad injury to Derek Wyld when an innocuous coming together resulted in the Ruston’s man breaking four bones in his face in the first five minutes.  Thankfully it wasn’t anything worse and all wish him a speedy recovery. Onto the rest of the game and it began with both sides sharing half chances with the game turning into more of a battle than a free flowing affair.

The visitors took the lead late in the half when Timmie Mann pounced on the Birchwood defender who was slow to clear the ball before calmly finishing.

The second half began much like the first with a battle for every ball ensuing and a goal line clearance from Birchwood prevented Rustons from doubling their lead. The home side were well in the game still and would get level on the hour when a ball was helped forward and finished coolly by the Birchwood striker. Ruston’s pushed on to regain their lead and Timmie Mann was at it again when a delightful ball from Sam Wade found the wide man who bundled the ball home. The game should have been put to bed ten minutes later when Jack Willan was fouled in the area, but Mann couldn’t round off his hat trick from the spot with the Birchwood keeper getting down well to save.

Birchwood continued to press for an equaliser and had one final chance off a set piece late on but a big block by Simon Cotton secured the three points for the visitors.

The Ruston’s man of the match was Peter Dickinson who led the line well.

Newtoft Terriers 2-4 Railway Inn United

After a very hard game last week Railway were left with a bare eleven players due to injuries and suspension, Assistant Manager Ed Brett named the only 11 he could possibly name. The game got underway and very little happened for the first 15 minutes until a long ball from Mikey Barrand was flicked on by Tony Rowe through to forward Matt Clark who slotted home neatly to the keeper’s right. The lead lasted only a few minutes with Newtoft equalising with a sloppy goal. Ten minutes later the ball dropped to the self proclaimed steam train Tom Float who smashed in a strike from 20 yards into the bottom corner. Newtoft equalised again with a soft penalty that was drilled down the middle.

At half time Railway knew that they should have this game in the bag and after twenty minutes of pressing the breakthrough came after quick thinking from Gavin Lilley saw Kyle Paul smash home a cracking header. Subsequently Newtoft lost their shape and a poor tackle 35 yards out saw Kyle Paul confidently curl the free kick into the top corner to seal the win.

Ian Stephenson