15th April – Results Round-up

Jock Mitchell Memorial Trophy Semi Finals

I start this week by congratulating both Nettleham FC and Queen Athletic who both won their respective Semi Finals to book their place in the final to be played at Sincil Bank on Tuesday 15th May.

Nettleham FC won 6-1 away at Morning Star with a dominant display. The size of their win will surprise a few people, myself included, as many thought that this would be a close encounter. Nettleham raced into a 4-0 half time lead including two strikes from the penalty spot before they added two further goals after the break.

James Kerrigan scored a hat-trick and Bryan Skayman scored a brace with Liam Hutchinson also getting on the score-sheet for the visitors. Nathan Johnson notched a goal back for the home side in the second half but this proved to be no more than a consolation for the side who look odds on favorites to be champions of Division Four in this, their first Season, in the Lincoln Sunday League.

HBW United and Queen Athletic shared a 7 goal thriller in the other Semi Final played at Branston. Jim O’Callaghan, Owen Dawson, and an own goal were not enough to see the home side make the final as Paul Marklew with two goals, Stu Spring, and Jamie Parkinson all hit the target for the visitors to see them over the line in a game to remember.

Premier Division

Current Leaders Anglers FC were without a fixture today so it was left to the chasing pack to see if they could close the gap on them. Second placed Rustons United duly obliged courtesy of a slender 1-0 win away at 9 man Saxilby Athletic who remain at the foot of the table as a consequence. Josh Raby was the man to keep Ruston’s title hopes alive with the only goal of the game.

Third placed Hykeham Town went down 0-5 when they visited fifth placed Metheringham FC at The Paddock today. Jayden Driver opened the scoring for the hosts with an absolute screamer after 27 minutes before he added another after the break. Ben Garrick then headed home after 65 minutes before Sora Horiuchi added a fourth on 67 minutes. Garrick then completed the scoring with another header, his second of the match, to complete the scoring on 76 minutes after Driver assisted him with a cross.

Lincoln Moorlands/Railway FC visited New Swan and returned home with maximum points thanks to a 3-1 win. Dec Murphy opened the scoring for the Moors before Josh Scofield equalised for the home side after the break. A screamer from Callum Murphy restored the lead for the visitors before George Aspin put the game to bed for them.

Hykeham Memorial FC and Newton United have both been at the wrong end of the League table this Season and this fixture gave both sides hope of recording a much needed win as the Season enters its final stages. It was Hykeham Memorial who enjoyed the result after a 3-0 win which sees them jump one place above their opponents of the day.

Division One

Congratulations go to AFC Golden Eagle after their 6-1 win at Trent Valley saw them take the title in emphatic style. After winning Division Four last Season and asking to go up just one division, they were promoted 3 Divisions by the League who recognised the quality that was within their ranks. This Season that decision has been proved totally correct as the Eagle have recorded a near perfect playing record in the League once again having won 16 of their 17 League games with just one draw along the way denying them a 100% win record. Today they took less than a minute to open the scoring to take charge of the contest. Two goals from Kieran Baker plus goals from Jack Higginson, Kallum O’Melia, and an own goal, saw the cork come flying out of the champagne bottle at the end of the game.

Second placed Welton Sports AFC did everything possible to keep pace with the eventual Champions but despite their fine 7-1 win away at Wragby FC they will now be playing for the runners up spot. Olly Furness was the main man doing the damage today as he bagged four goals, supported by Alex Munn who weighed in with two, plus a solo goal from Luke Heald which completed the scoring.

Wishing Well Cherry FC remain third after a 5-1 away success at Old Boys United. Lee Lynch hit four and Jamie Corby got on the score sheet for the team that have shown excellent form since the turn of the year.

FVA Jerusalem maintained their recent consistency, and remain fourth, with a 3-2 home win against Railway Inn AFC, for whom Brad Shields and Tom Ardron were on target for the Railway boys. Lee Stanney, Ryan Goodrick, and Matt Coe all found the net for the home side to recover from a 1-2 deficit at half time.

Welton FC and Bassingham Bugle Horn FC shared a goal feast at Dunholme with the game finishing at 3-3. Connor Cains, Robson Luther, and Michael Rainey all got on the score sheet for the home side but a hat-trick from Mark Walker ensured that the points were shared.

Division Two

Cherry Willingham FC are the new leaders in this Division after their thumping 11-2 win at home to Waddington United today. Jordan Taylor and Brendan Foster-Mathieson each recorded hat-tricks whilst Mark Pitchford and Zac Shucksmith each weighed in with two goals each for good measure. Harry Ormsby also got on the scoring records with a solo goal. Waddington’s goals came courtesy of Jon Rodgers and an own goal. This result sees the Cherry team replace the leaders at the start of the day, namely St Helens, who were held to a 2-2 draw at Heighington FC. Papworth and Skinner each netted for St Helens to keep them in the hunt for honours at the end of the Season.

North Lindum Hawks look menacing in third place now as they have games in hand to make a serious charge for the title. Their 4-0 win today at Shakespeare Athletic maintained their impressive form. Coningsby FC remain fourth, level on points with North Lindum Hawks, after they defeated local rivals AFC Harpars 4-1 today at Coningsby. Ben Brown, Brandon Rylett, Charlie Stapleton, and Ashley Webb ensured that they got the bragging rights in Coningsby tonight.

Plough Sturton came unstuck at home to Dunston FC, going down 1-2. Dunston actually netted all 3 goals in the game with Ben Goodwin scoring in the 10th minute with a fine strike but the lead lasted only 2 minutes before an own goal put the hosts level. In the second half it was Goodwin again who found the net to record an excellent win for the visitors.

The final game in this Division between Newton United Reserves and Lincoln High Street was postponed at 9.53am, the precise time that Lincoln High Street FC informed the League that they were unable to raise a team. It is always disappointing when players and Officials have made every effort to get to a venue to play a game of football but such a late hour notification gives nobody any chance of avoiding the waste of such time and effort which is even more disappointing. Newton United Reserves have been awarded the points for this game in accordance with rule.

Division Three

With leaders Nettleham FC engaged in Cup action today Birchwood United wasted no time in displacing them at the head of the table when they visited third place Queen in the West FC. 2 goals from Nathan Reid plus one from Kye Collins did the damage for Birchwood as they ran out 3-0 winners on the day. Ruston Sports FC remain in fourth place after their 4-0 home success against Railway Inn United. They had Derek Wyld to thank for a hat-trick and a goal from Timmie Mann to celebrate as they consolidated their League position. Just behind them in the table are The Sports Bar and they enjoyed their trip to Lincoln RNA by returning with a 5-0 win.

Division Four

Highest scorers in this Division today were Nosey FC as they bagged 9 goals in the 9-2 defeat of Metheringham Reserves at Yarborough. They ran in 6 goals without reply during the first half with Alex Mackinder bagging a hat-trick, Chris Chancellor claiming a brace and Shaun Carr also getting amongst the scorers. In the second half Mackinder added his fourth of the game whilst Scott Goldacre and Adam Morton each joined the list of scorers to ensure Nosey’s impressive Season kept on track.

Shakespeare Imps remain in third position following a 3-0 victory at The Shed and The Blue Lion won 2-1 away at AFC West End whose goal came from Michael Bartley.

Ian Stephenson