14th October – Results Round-Up

The Ron Eaglen Challenge Cup, the League’s Premier Cup Competition, began in earnest today with 16 ties played. It is a sure sign that Autumn is upon us when this round is played, usually in high wind and rain, and today didn’t disappoint in that respect!

Two Premier Division sides fell to lower division teams, making it a good day for the victorious Division One teams that claimed their scalps. Metheringham FC’s League difficulties this Season were transferred to the Cup when they went down 1-2 at home to Newton United, a team who dropped from the Premier Division at the end of the last campaign. The evergreen Horton and Leedle rolled back the years to put the travelling side through to the next round.

Goals from Ardron and Ranyard saw their side, Fox & Hounds FC, knock out Premier division Hykeham Memorial FC 2-1 at Hykeham. Taylor’s goal for the home side was not enough to save the Premier team’s blushes on the day.

There were goals galore in the game between Lincoln High Street and AFC Golden Eagle where the Eagles triumphed 13-2 but with neither side providing any details of their scorers there is nothing I can add about that game.

The derby game at Ruston Marconi produced 12 goals where the Cup holders, Rustons United, accounted for 11 of them against their Division Three opponents Ruston Sports FC. Raby and Mackinder scored 2 goals apiece whilst their other goals came from Skepper, Dye, Drabble, Carter, Foster, Wyld, and an own goal. Cutting scored the consolation goal for the Division Three side.

Hykeham Town TRFC scored 7 in an all Premier Division cup clash out at Welton Sports AFC thanks to a brace each from Foster and Mehta, plus goals from Dickinson, Burley, and an own goal completed a bad day at the office for the home side with the score finishing at 7-1 to the visitors. The home side’s goal came from Smith.

Lincoln Moorlands/Railway also hit 7 goals when they defeated FVA Jerusalem 7-3 at the Moorlands. Waplington scored 5 of their goals with their fourth already registering as an early goal of the Season contender. Michie notched the other 2 whilst FVA had Stanney, Forbes, and Wallis on target in reply.

A Hobson hat-trick brought delight for Old Boys United when they ran out 6-2 winners at home to Lincoln RNA. Knibbs, Skelding, and Gardiner were also on target for the Old Boys, as were Russell and Murphy for RNA.

Bassingham Bugle Horn FC hosted Trent Valley in an all Division One tie but ended up on the wrong end of a 2-6 score line. Deakin and McDonald scored for the hosts but the visitors were too powerful for them as goals from Juoska (2), Ekins, Stamp, and Bee proved at the final whistle.

Welton FC have built a nice bit of momentum in the League recently and they carried that forward today to complete a very useful 6-0 win against fellow Division One boys St Helens FC courtesy of a Caines hat trick combined with 2 goals from Luther and a goal from Spencer when the teams met at Welton Manor Park.

The game between Saxilby Athletic and Queen Athletic finished all square at 3-3 after 90 minutes with Moulds,Curtis, and Waby each on target for the Queen. Two further goals in extra time for Athletic saw them over the line with a 5-3 victory.

Another game needing extra time to find a winner was at Yarborough where the visitors, Horncastle Town, had Bullivant and Fixter to thank for getting them to the 90 minutes of a 2-2 draw with North Lindum Hawks. An extra time goal for the Hawks however ended Horncastle’s dreams for this Season and saw the Hawks progress with a 3-2 win.

Coo, Wilkinson, and Mann scored the goals for Anglers FC to complete a 3-0 win in their game away at Wishing Well Cherry FC.

Railway Inn United put in a plucky performance when they entertained Premier Division side New Swan, despite their being four Divisions between the two teams. Railway only had 10 players for 70 minutes of their game but despite this they managed to take the lead through Rowe to threaten a potential  victory. Swan though had other ideas and goals from Scutt (2) and Halton saw them over the line and into the draw for the next round.

Hykeham Social FC edged out Stacey West FC 3-2 courtesy of goals from Goldacre, Fletcher, and an own goal, but replies from Pearce, and Ballam left the game closely poised at the end.

Heath and Humberston each scored for Swanpool FC in their excellent 2-0 home victory over Ruskington Lions at Skellingthorpe Road.

Fewster scored the only goal of the game for Plough Sturton when they hosted Wragby. The game also saw two outstanding landmarks as Plough’s Tom Mangham and Nick Webb notched 300 starts for the Sturton based team, a remarkable commitment and one which is a great compliment to the individuals concerned and those that run the Club.

Despite the Cup competition there were seven League games played, spread between Divisions two. three, and four. Coningsby FC were the highest scorers in the League with a resounding 9-1 home win against Witham St Hughs. Sewell lead the way with 5 goals, but their goals scored total was also helped by additional goals from Morgan. Wyre, Nixon, and Stapleton. Clay got in on the scoring for the boys from Witham.

Division Two

Waddington United climbed to the top of the Division Two after winning their local derby game away at Dunston 2-1. An own goal plus a goal from Wright was enough to take the points, all of the goals coming in the second half of the game. Although Dunston scored an equaliser from Plant they could not hang on and Waddington now sit proudly in top spot, still undefeated in the League. A special mention must go to the impressive referee performance from stand-in ref Glyn Jones. I am told that he was one of the best referees ever seen on the circuit….I think that is what he said!

Division Three

Morning Star now head the table after their excellent 7-4 win away at Shakespeare Imps. Star’s goals came from a Drury hat-trick plus goals from Walukiewicz, Matthews, Reynolds, and Robinson. Imp’s goals came from a Hitchins hat-trick and Newby.

The Sports Bar moved up to fourth spot after goals from Jamison (2), Welsh and Bee overcame the challenge of Nosey FC 4-1 with Cornwall scoring for Nosey.

Division Four

Three games took place in this Division today but the only League winners were The Shed FC as the other two games finished all square. Dowsett and Johnstone netted for the Shed as they defeated M.H.Blue Lion at Bracebridge Heath. McCarthy scored their only goal in a game that slipped away from them despite creating the Lion’s share of the chances.

Crown & Arrows and Bottle & Glass finished all square at one a piece with Waplington scoring for Crown. These two teams now sit first and second respectively in the current Division four table.

FVA Jerusalem and AFC West End shared 6 goals in a 3-3 draw at Skellingthorpe. West End’s goals came from Lyman, Wells, and Gorman.

Where I have not mentioned goal scorers it is because the League have not been notified of them.

Ian Stephenson