14th January – Results Round-Up

Lincolnshire Football Association – County Sunday Cup Round Four

The long awaited fourth round tie between Payzone FC and Hykeham Town TRFC was finally played after a number of postponements over recent weeks. Unfortunately for our League side it was the Grimsby based outfit who progressed through to the Quarter Final stage of the competition. A penalty success for Town’s Slater was not enough on the day and the Hykeham based side went down 1-2 with all 3 goals coming in the second half of the game.

Next week sees Division Two side North Lindum Hawks take on Payzone FC for a coveted place in the Quarter Finals where our League is still well represented by 5 teams who have already secured their places in the business end of the competition.

Ron Eaglen Challenge Cup – Quarter Finals

Today saw the quarter finals of our League’s Prestigious Cup competition played with 3 of the scheduled games going ahead as planned. One tie however, Hykeham Town TRFC v The Sports Bar, had to be postponed due to Hykeham Town’s other pressing Cup commitments in the County FA County Sunday Cup which took priority as per Football Association Rules.

Of the 3 games played Premier Division leaders at the start of the day, Rustons United, visited Division Two side Cherry Willingham to take on a side who have performed admirably since rejoining the League last Season. The visitors put in a workmanlike performance and had little problem progressing thanks to a 4-0 win. They lead 1-0 at half time but overcame their opponents comprehensively thanks to two goals from Lee Skepper plus solo goals from Josh Raby and Shaun Booth.

Old Boys United from Division Two played host to Premier Division New Swan FC in what could have been a potential banana skin of a tie for the visitors. It was certainly on the cards after the home side took the lead through Mark Hodges but then goals from Firth, two from Schofield, and one from Martin saw the visitors go into a 4-1 lead after leading 3-1 at the interval. A consolation goal from James Waby for Old Boys completed the scoring and saw the visitors progress into the Semi Final of the Competition.

The remaining tie saw First Division side Railway Inn United from Division One entertain Premier Division Lincoln Moorlands/Railway FC out at North Scarle. Liam Bradley opened the scoring for the visitors followed by goals from Jordan Waplington, Declan Murphy, and a brace from his brother Callum Murphy, to seal a 5-1 away victory to ensure that the three sides currently through to the Semi Final stage of the Competition are all Premier Division based.

The remaining tie between Hykeham Town TRFC and The Sports Bar will be played on Sunday 28th January 2018.

Premier Division

With leaders Rustons United in Cup action third placed Anglers FC jumped to the top of the table thanks to a 5-1 away win at nearby neighbours Newton United. Anglers came out of the blocks quickly and went ahead in the second minute after skipper Jamie Taylor had been bundled over in the penalty box which Jordan Curtis duly converted. Michael Ward extended his sides lead in the 12th minute when he headed in following a corner that was headed back across goal by Jamie Taylor. Five minutes later Josh Bowden smashed home the third following good work from Curtis. The game was effectively all over as a contest after 21 minutes when a Newton defender headed into his own net following a cross into the box. Newton United scored what proved to be only a consolation goal 5 minutes into the second half from a cross/shot which looped over the Anglers keeper before Daniel Coo completed the scoring to see his side head the table with a maximum haul of points from the 6 League games that they have played to date. A special mention must go to referee Mr Andy Pearson who controlled a lively game with skill and common sense enabling football to be the winner on the day without the need for anyone to see a card from the referee.

Metheringham FC now occupy fourth spot after a 5-3 win away at Hykeham Memorial. All Megs goals were scored in the first half of the game with Sora Horouchi, Miles Lynch, and an Andy Anderson hat-trick (one from the penalty spot) putting the visitors firmly in the driving seat at the interval. Second half goals from the home side scored in the 55th, 58th, and 80th minutes saw the deficit reduced to end a game that appears to be one of the proverbial “game of two halves!”

Division One

The game of the day in this Division today was at Cherry Willingham School where Wishing Well Cherry FC became the first team this Season to take any points off League Leaders AFC Golden Eagle after the game finished 4-4. At one point Wishing Well were 4-0 ahead however such is the resolve of the visitors that they somehow managed to rescue a point.

Second placed Welton Sports AFC will be buoyed to see the Leaders drop points for the first time this Season and their own 4-2 home win over FVA Jerusalem sees the gap at the top of the League cut to 6 points with all to play for for sure. Welton Sports lead at the interval 1-0 thanks to a strike from Justin French on 32 minutes. Second half goals from Olly Furness on 60 and 75 minutes as well as an 80th minute goal from Tom Crowther did the trick for the home side to just close the gap a little at the top. FVA drop a couple of places as a result of this result and now sit fourth bottom despite their goals today from Melton and Wray.

Bassingham Bugle Horn FC move up into third place in the table after a 3-2 win away at bottom side AFC Lincoln Green. The visitors goals came from Chris Lewis who hit a brace, and a goal from Matthew Dale. Lincoln Green’s scorers were Sam Brown in the first half followed by a second half goal from Dan Goucher. This game was always in the balance with the scores locked on 1-1 at the interval.

Wragby FC have adjusted well to their promotion this Season after a difficult start to the Season. Today they defeated Welton FC 5-0 at Dunholme after leading 3-0 at the interval. Ryan Parnell netted two goals whilst Jimmy Lowman, Carl Mallett, and Tom Boyd all found their scoring boots in this victory. This result sees them sitting quite nicely in the table in 5th spot whilst their hosts remain second from bottom with just two wins from their opening eight League games.

Division Two

Leaders St Helens FC went down to their first League defeat of the Season today following a 1-2 reverse at home to Heighington FC. Despite a first half goal from Papworth St Helens were unable to kick on from a scoreline which saw both sides level 1-1 at the break. The visitors took all 3 points with a goal right at the death when they scored in what is believed to be the 94th minute of the game. Either way it was a most welcome victory for the Village team who ease their own position near the bottom of the Division with this win seeing them move up a place to third bottom in the table.

Coningsby FC have an excellent home record and they maintained that today with a comfortable 3-0 home win over mid-table Plough Sturton. They lead 2-0 at half time courtesy of goals from Captain Ben Brown and mid-fielder Dean Morgan whilst Charlie Stapleton got his team’s 3rd goal halfway through the second half to complete the scoring. This result sees the rural side rise to third place in the League in their first Season at this Divisional level.

Waddington United enjoyed a comprehensive 5-1 home win against inconsistent Newton United Reserves at Mere Road. Two goals from the evergreen Jason Brothwell helped them on their way with the other scorers being Ryan Pell, Marc Strickson, and Fabian Rowe. This result sees Waddington up to fourth place with the visitors dropping to fourth bottom.

Lincoln High Street FC are certainly enjoying life in Division Two this Season and their 6-2 home win over AFC Harpars today underlined that. The details of the High Street scorers are not currently known but they raced into a 3-0 half time lead with Harpar’s second half goals both coming from Cunningham proving to be no more than a consolation for the team from Horncastle.

Division Three

Leaders Queen in the West FC experienced today what every other League team in this Division has experienced when they visited Nettleham FC, namely a League defeat. Nettleham made it 5 wins out of just 5 League games to date as most of the first half of the Season has seen them playing with success it must be said, in the domestic and County Cup Competitions. Nettleham went 1-0 up through Simon Gould only to see Queen in the West to level and then take the lead. Nettleham were then awarded a penalty which was converted by top scorer James Kerrigan before Bryan Skayman notched the winner with just 5 minutes remaining.

Ruston Sports FC are now second in the table courtesy of an excellent 2-0 away win at The Sports Bar courtesy of a first half goal from Jack Willan and a second half effort from Timmie Mann.

Queen Athletic edged a 5 goal game at home to Broadley FC as a result of goals from John Marklew (2) and Chris Moulds. The winner came in the second half as the teams entered the break at 2 a piece.

Mareham United enjoyed a home victory by 2 goals to one against Newtoft Terriers whilst Lincoln RNA hit 4 goals on their travels to Railway Inn United to win by the odd goal in 7, 4-3 the score line in their favour. Josh Russell and Jack Murphy each recorded a brace for the visitors in response to first half goals by Matt Clark and Zachary Markham for the home side followed by a second half goal by Kyle Paul.

Division Four

The game at Moor Lane Branston was abandoned in the 86th minute due to a serious injury sustained by a Branston Homeguard player who sadly suffered a badly broken leg. The visitors, AFC West End, wish to place on record their sincere best wishes to the player involved, as of course I do on behalf of everyone connected with our League. The score at the time of the abandonment was 2-1 to AFC West End as a result of goals from Euan Morris and Skipper Ryan Green, but the result is completely overshadowed by the injury and all connected with the League wish the injured player well for the future.

Leaders Morning Star FC march on unhindered and their credentials today were underlined by their 4-2 home win against FVA Jerusalem Reserves. Star lead 3-1 at the break with their goal scorers today being Martin Waplington (2), Steven Dale, and George Drury.

Nosey FC ran in 7 goals with just one conceded when they visited Metheringham Reserves. Alex Mackinder set them on their way and a second goal was soon added by Shaun Carr. Nosey found themselves 4 goals to the good by half time with birthday boy Kieran Sweeney getting a birthday goal to celebrate. The second half saw Adam Morton get on the score sheet for the visitors as well as witnessing Mackinder complete his hat trick. 3 Points saw Nosey maintain the pressure on the Leaders but they will have to overhaul a 5 point gap and a healthy goal difference which currently favours the team at the top.

There was a 9 goal thriller at Saxilby where the visitors HBW United won the game 5-4 against Saxilby Sports FC thanks to a Jim O’Callaghan hat trick and individual goals from Dean Barber and Dan Monaghan.

Green Dragon defeated The Shed FC 3-1 at Sudbrooke Drive whilst Shakespeare Imps won 5-3 at home to The Blue Lion.

Ian Stephenson.