13th September – Results & Scorers Round-Up

Week two of the new Season saw some intriguing, if not surprising, score lines with the headline game of the day for goals and excitement coming in a 6-5 thriller. Read on for details of all the games and goals unless the team hasn’t notified their scorers in which case, they can’t get a mention!


AFC Golden Eagle leapt to the top of the Division at this early stage when a hat-trick from Edward Davis and a goal from Peter Wynn-Jones gave them an impressive home win over Welton Sports AFC. Visiting Manager James Mulhall reported that it was a “bad day at the Office” for his side who have enjoyed incredible success over the last 12 months with barely a defeat to their name. It wasn’t a great day for James as he initially reported the result as a 0-4 loss having either forgotten, or missed, the fact that Jason Barratt converted a 95th minute penalty as a consolation right at the end!

AFC Saxilby, for now, sit just behind the leaders on goal difference following their 1-0 home win over Nettleham FC. Shaun Booth got the only goal in the 67th minute but unfortunately the visiting keeper sustained a serious injury at the time the goal was scored and an ambulance was required to render assistance. With the time wait estimated to be at least 2 hours the referee had to abandon the game with Saxilby leading by Booth’s solitary goal and it will be for the League Management Committee to decide upon the outcome of the game when they next meet on 5th October, their options will be to allow the result to stand or to instruct that the game will be replayed.

Lincoln Moorlands Railway played their opening game of the Season following their enforced last minute postponement the previous weekend. Jordan Wapplington opened his scoring account for the Moors but goals from Parker and Morris for Welton FC gave them their first points of the season by sealing an impressive victory on the road.

Hykeham Town TRFC v Rustons United had to be called off during the week but credit must go to both Rustons United and Metheringham FC who agreed to bring forward their League game at short notice to play in this fixture at Metheringham. It will be Josh Raby for the visitors who will be most pleased with that decision no doubt after his hat-trick secured the maximum points in a 3-1 win. Ben Garrick was on hand to score for the home side.


Swanpool lead this Division with their second win on the bounce when they visited Ruston Sports FC and came away with a 3-2 victory. Two goals from Liam Bentley and one from Karl Horry did the trick with Tyler Baker and Sam Joyce both netting for the home side.

Plough Sturton opened their account in their first League game with a useful 4-1 win away at North Scarle FC. It is always pleasing for a Manager to see four different goal scorers on target in  a game  and that is exactly what Nick Humphries saw when goals from Tom Everington, Jack Darby, Oliver Blanchard, and Tom Van Camp registered in this game. Blanchard and Darby also chipped in with an assist each for good measure in the win. The North Scarle scorer is not known.

Unfortunately, the games between Cherry Willingham v Bottle & Glass FC and St Helens v Bassingham Bugle Horn FC were both postponed due to circumstances in which neither the League, or the Clubs, had any control over.


Morning Star FC are the early leaders in this Division after an impressive opening couple of games. They visited Mere Road Waddington to face a Waddington side who are looking for their opening goal of the Season. The corresponding game last Season saw the Star win 6-0 so their 5-0 win on Sunday represents a slight improvement by the Waddo boys perhaps? Matthew Smith scored two, one being a penalty for the second time in a week, whilst goals from Aaron Brennan, Joe Walukiewicz and Matthew Waite completing the scoring. With two 5-0 wins under their belts from their opening two games Morning Star will fancy their chances of making a real impression in this Division after their promotion into it last Season.

Saxilby Athletic won their second game on the bounce courtesy of a 2-0 win away at Wragby thanks to goals by Tom Hicks and Dean Morgan.

Lincoln Green and Horncastle Town played out an entertaining 3-3 draw at Hykeham’s Memorial Ground, a result which sees The Green move up to third place just one place ahead of their rivals on the day with both sides registering a win and a draw from their opening 2 games. Joe Aitken. Jesse Beau Anderson and Oliver Newell were on target for the hosts whilst Isaac Ward, Brandon Rylett and a Paul Cox penalty were the replies from the visitors.

Top scorers in this Division, but not the League, on this day were The Ferryboat Inn FC. Sam Flintham hit 5 goals, Elliot Turner 4, Harry McDavid 2 plus solo efforts from Joe Willey, James Hobson, Jake Jones and Elliot Burrell amassing a grand total of 15 goals with none conceded when they hosted Old Boys United at the ground where they both share the same pitch. With 20 goals conceded in the first 2 games Old Boys United are the early occupants of the bottom spot in the Division table with Manager Steven Betley no doubt concentrating on defensive coaching ahead of their next game!


Witham FC are the early leaders in this Division, just! They top AFC Lincoln Imp on goals scored after both teams have opened their respective fixtures with 2 wins and both have identical goal differences albeit that Witham have scored one goal more.

Witham triumphed 4-1 away at HBW United with goals from Declan Searle, Harry Cawdron, Shae O’Connor, and Stephen Rowe, the latter converting from the penalty spot. Bradley Heuso grabbed the consolation goal for the home side.

AFC Lincoln Imp had Mark Pitchford with 2 goals, plus Dean Barber and James Leeming to thank for their goal contributions which saw them complete a 4-0 win at home to Lincoln Athletic.

Broadley FC and Londesborough Arms FC Metheringham scored 10 goals between them with the home side, Broadley,  getting 7 of them in a 7-3 win at Sudbrooke Drive. The home scorers were Gary McGill with a hat-trick, Dale Bowman with 2, Zac Markham, and Ashley Paulson with a penalty. The Londesborough marksman was James Todd who registered a hat-trick of his own.

Helpringham Rovers tasted victory for the first time in their new Division courtesy of a 4-1 home win against Shakespeare Imps. Ryan Anderson, Daniel Broughton, Ed Robinson, and Mackenzie Smyth were the men to do the damage whilst Tom Cockett and Charles Kirk replied for the visitors.

The final game in this Division saw Railway Inn United and Queen Athletic share 6 goals in a goal spectacle at Fen Lane. Heydon Topley helped himself to a brace of goals for the home side with the other coming from Zac Zablockyj. It was unusual for Kyle Paul not to be on the score sheet but he weighed in with a couple of assists. The Shakespeare goals came from Martin Waplington, John Marklew, and Oliver Sinclair.


A goal from Marcus Cooper for his team FVA Jerusalem Reserves was nothing more than a consolation as his side fell to 4 goals from Josh Schofield and a goal from Jason Tinkler for AFC Bailgate. This result saw Bailgate top the table with a side that looks set to be one of the stronger teams in this Division this time around.

Active Arena dropped from top spot into second spot after their 1-1 draw away at AFC West End. Christian Middleton was on target for Active whilst West End’s goal came from Harry Stubbs.

Jolly Scotchman FC first team have had, in truth, a lean time of wins since joining the League last Season but they will have enjoyed Sunday’s game even more as they starred in a thriller at home to Potterhanworth FC. The visitors lead 3-1 at half time and ended up netting a total of 5 goals thanks to a hat-trick from James Stephenson, plus goals from Callum Gray and Charlie Hill. That proved not to be enough for the Potter boys as a home hat-trick from Ryan Hall, plus 2 goals a piece from Kieran Tear and Stephen Jones, steered Jolly to a memorable 6-5 victory. Sounds a great game and well done to all involved. Games like this will bring the crowds back, but remember no more than 6 in a group!!!

Two team who share a pitch also shared the points when M.H.Blue Lion and Nosey FC locked horns at King George V playing field. 6 goals were shared in an entertaining 3-3 draw. 2 penalty kicks converted by Tom Hirons, and an own goal, accounted for the M.H goals. Garry Cassey, Ant Barratt, and Charlie Harboard for Nosey ensured that they left the building undefeated in their opening two games.

Hykeham Tigers roared to a 4-2 victory at home to Welton FC Reserves at Fen Lane. Goals from Daniel Raisen, Jack Mather, Chris Ellis, and an own goal, accounted for the goals. 2 goals from Samuel Small, one from the penalty spot, reduced the size of the win to just one goal.


The biggest win in the League this week came at Cherry Willingham where Cherry United rattled in 16 goals with one conceded when they entertained and demolished Engine FC. Captain Kieran Helsdown scored 10 goals alone with the other goals coming from Jordan Curtis netting a hat-trick, Joshua Toynbee, Callum Kemp,and Joe Silson. Poor old Engine were unable to get started in truth with their consolation goal coming from Bhes Gurung. In truth results like this do little for either side in reality with such an obvious gulf between the two sides but this is always the issue when putting teams into Divisions where it is not known who their players will be at the time that the team joins the League. I offer my encouragement to the Engine boys to keep going as they will not play this obvious strength of opposition every week but that may offer little comfort as the two sides meet again in Ron Eaglen Cup next month.

Hospital Club played their first League game of the Season when they visited Cranwell FC. Connor Stocks opened his account with half of his team’s goals on the day when he netted 4 times. 2 more goals from Aiden Cook, and further goals from Kyle Logan, and Bjorn Whitelam, saw them to an 8-4 victory. The Cranwell goals came from Grets Greinis, Ollie Smith, Charley Simpkins, and Dale Weatherstone.

Sleaford Athletic were at home to Jolly Scotchman FC Reserves in a local derby game at Eslaford Park. The home side came away with the bragging rights after registering a narrow 2-1 victory.

The final game in this Division saw Joe Brown net 2 goals for Witham FC Reserves but free scoring Lincoln High Street over powered them with an impressive 11-2 win.

Ian Stephenson

League Secretary