11th December – match reports

Ron Eaglen Challenge Cup – Quarter Finals:

Cup holders Ivy Tavern continued to defend their trophy in stile after defeating Lincoln Moorlands 6-0 thanks to another hat-trick from the prolific goal scoring machine Sean Cann, a goal apiece from Jordan Taylor and Danny Wells, plus an own goal to give them a comfortable passage through to the Semi Final in February. Referee Mr Steve Fisher would like to thank the Ivy Tavern club for providing both Assistant Referees throughout the second half as Lincoln Moorlands were unable to provide their half of the cover with just 11 players making the match on the day.

Ivy were joined in the Semi Final of the competition by New Swan who defeated division 4 side Hykeham Athletic 8-0 whilst the remaining all premier teams saw Scothern United overcome Rustons United 4-1, and Ruston Sports FC overcome the challenge of Travellers Rest 2-0. The semi finals will be played on 12th February and the draw will be made by the League Management Committee on Monday 9th January 2017.

Premier Division

Metheringham FC 5

Welton Sports AFC 0

This was a battle between the Premier Division’s bottom 2 sides with Metheringham looking for a first win in 4 games whilst Welton Sports were looking to follow up on having picked up their first league win of the season last week against Travellers Rest. For the opening 20 minutes play was end to end but then Metheringham took the lead in spectacular fashion. Following a Metheringham attack Welton cleared their lines but the ball only fell to Aaron Harrison some 30 to 35 yards out on the left. Seeing the keeper off his line he lobbed the ball home with some aplomb. Inside 5 minutes it was 2-0 with Jayden Driver netting directly from a corner. Driver then bagged his second with 5 minutes of the half remaining when he jinxed his way across the edge of the box from right to left before shooting home in the bottom corner. The first half scoring was completed just before the break with Joe Smith rising majestically to nod home Jayden Driver’s right wing corner.

In the second half Metheringham appeared to take their foot off the pedal with the game virtually won. This saw Welton have some good possession but in all honesty they never really troubled the home keeper. With just over 5 minutes left Meg added a fifth to complete the scoring with some good interplay on the edge of the box before Joe Smith took up possession to round the keeper and score into an empty net.

Division 2

FVA Jerusalem 5

Red Lion Dunston 1

Things didn’t bode well for Dunston with players arriving late and just 11 players turning up so the Manager found himself on the subs bench. The game kicked off and Jerusalem immediately took control of the game and 8 minutes in found themselves one up from the penalty spot when full back Harry Weight was adjudged to have tripped the winger. Things got worse for Dunston and 2 quick goals from Jerusalem saw them 3 up after just 20 minutes. One real chance fell to Dunston in the half but the Jerusalem keeper came out quickly to prevent Paul Masters clawing a goal back. Dunston somehow managed to defend their goal without any further goals being conceded in the half.

Within a minute of the restart of the second half Dunston scored with a goal from Paul Masters. This came from a free kick by Harry Wright to reduce the arrears. Dunston were now looking to put the pressure on Jerusalem and indeed had 3 or 4 good chances to get back in the game. However with about 15 minutes to go Jerusalem scored their fourth goal somewhat fortuitously from a mug shot cross that looked to be heading out of play but somehow bounced onto the bar and came out for the Jerusalem striker to tap it in unopposed. A fifth and final goal was scored by Jerusalem shortly after with Dunston seeing the remainder of the game out. The Dunston Manager summed the day up for his side by saying that it was one of those games where the score line could have been by a wider margin.
Division 3

Dynamo Varsity 4

Newtoft Terriers 0

The game began fairly evenly as had the first encounter between these 2 sides on the opening weekend of the season. Dynamo went ahead following a nice move which resulted in Josh Hayes finding Simon Cotton who powered home the opener. Varsity had a spring in their step and soon doubled their lead through another nice move with Sam Wade finding Aiden Vaughan at the back post with the skipper slotting home. A third goal was added just before half time when Vincent Van Doninck’s effort was saved on the line, before Paul Norris slotted home the rebound.

The second half saw Newtoft come out with a bit of fight and they nearly nicked an early goal but Varsity somehow managed to scramble the ball away with the goal gaping. The visitors were punished almost immediately when a deep Mike Barton free kick found Chris Melton. The big target man needed no second invitation in finding the bottom corner of the net. The visitors were reduced to 10 men late on although this had little impact on the final 15 minutes. The Varsity Man of the Match was Simon Cotton.

Division 4

The Blue Lion 3

Coningsby FC 5

The Blue Lion came into this game as the League’s basement team playing against the division’s free scoring leaders. When the 2 teams met on the opening day of the season Coningsby ran out 16-0 winners so the Blue Lion could be forgiven for thinking that this game was going to be a real challenge second time around.

The home side made a strong start but found themselves 2-0 down before Coningsby then missed a penalty.

In the second half the Lions came out roaring and pulled a goal back from a deflected cross. Then in the 60th minute they equalised with a well timed close range effort and the boys went crazy in celebration! The game got better for the home side when they took the lead in a game for the first time since joining the League, as the game approached the 70th minute, the goal shocked everybody at the ground and came courtesy of a strike from Euan Titchmarsh. It would be difficult to describe the joy enjoyed and the celebration that followed from the Lion boys after all the hard work and experiences that they have suffered being on the receiving end of double figures defeats week in and week out since the start of the season. Sadly for the Lion though the fairy tale ending did not arrive.

An equaliser came quickly from Coningsby, followed by both teams battling to the end. In the 90th minute the score remained 3-3 when referee Mr Barraclough confirmed that there would be 2 minutes of added time to play. Coningsby pushed on and managed to score their winner in the dying embers of the game followed by another quick goal from a defensive lapse. The game finished 5-3 to the visitors but the Blue Lion boys took it as a huge result despite the defeat and they now hope that they have turned the corner and can look forward with confidence after this encouraging performance.

Blue Lion wish to compliment Coningsby FC for the sporting manner in which they played the game and they also wish to give a special mention to the Match Referee Mr Barraclough for the way in which he controlled and managed the game.

Ian Stephenson